which lineis it?

chuck416ex

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
bought a b&m tranny gauge & steering collum pod for my 99 power stroke,the instructions tell me to t into the return line after the cooler.which line is the return?w

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
if I remember correctly (and frequently do not), it's the one that runs ro the rearmost port on the transmission case

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
There is also a port on the left side of the tranny that is normally used to connect a pressure test gauge. You can also install the temp sensor into that same port.

Last edited:

dpantazis

Reaction score
the temp readings are different, like 30-50 degrees depending on where you put the sender. i think if you put it int he DS port, it will be hotter than a T in the return line. gotta remember where i learned that, some vendor's site.
dp

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the DS port will tell you what the temp of the trans is at that time..the return line will give flued temp after it has been cooled in the cooler and just before it goes into the trans..i like to know what my trans temp is..i dont care how much the flueds been cooled..the trans can over heat fast and it doesnt like heat at all.. IMO if a cooler plugs the trans temp gauge wont tell you till the trans has already over heaated...

Last edited:

BIG DUTY

F-250 Care Taker
Reaction score
I used the port on the left side of the trans when I hooked mine up. I believe it is a NPT 1/8" port. My kit had the exact fitting I needed. Not only was it easier than using the return line, it is much more accurate. When I pull up a steep grade, I can see the trans temp rising and that is important to me. Using this port, my gauge reads a steady 150* in most cases. Im not sure what the readings would be using the return line, any one know?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You are using the correct port. Don't worry what the return lines are doing. Like you said, you can see the trans temps rise and fall in real time.

Dave :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14