Which power steering hose is this???

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so after my body work that I did from the deer accident, http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/911-diesel-down/27640-umm-help-body-parts.html, I decided to take a road trip to Pittsburgh to visit a friend with out even test driving my truck. Well only a few miles into PA and I noticed my steering and brakes become very tight. Well I drive about 300 miles like this and come to find out when I get to my buddies place that a power steering hose was cut from the power steering pulley and I lost all my fluid. My question is, what hose was it and could I have burned up my power steering pump for driving it for that long? Picture of the hose coming soon.

I learned my lesson, make sure you test drive your vehicle first and second make sure everything is tied back from the serpentine belt and pulleys. ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You Might, Maybe, Probably.. have burned up the PS (hydraulic) pump.. but those becomes a BIG words.. for Long Term, piece of mind, cuz it has to do with your Braking ability ? (shavings, grit, crap in the system)

My .02 would be: Replace It.. (they're not that expensive either)

Joe

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well here is the hose.

IMG_20110730_103950.jpg

It went from the cooler to the back of the pump. I was going to cut the line, put two barbed end fittings in it, hose clamp it and fill it back up with fluid, just so I can get home somewhat safely. Then replace the pump when I get home. I have 340 miles to drive tomorrow, I don't feel like battling the steering wheel on every turn and fear of rear ending anyone because I have to stand on the brake with two feet to stop. How will I know if the power steering pump is shot?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It went from the cooler to the back of the pump.

If it's in the same line as the cooler, then it's the low pressure return line. A hose barb connector fix should hold. I believe the pressure line is all metal tubing.

As far as knowing if the pump is damaged--:dunno:dunno

If it starts making noise, that would be an indicator.

FWIW, if you do have to replace it, make sure the pump pulley gets installed the same depth on the drive shaft as the original. Most pumps I've done, the pulleys are a press fit to the pump shaft. Measure the amount the shaft protrudes from the pulley and press it to then same amount on the new pump. That makes sure it is in alignment with all the other pulleys the serpintine belt rides on.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What TG sez ;tu

I don't like barb fitting/hose clamps though.. with hydraulics. JMO.

Might be a "Git It Home" fix however.

Joe

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah I just repaired it, gonna go outside and try it out. Only problem is, I put in powersteering fluid instead of Mercon as recommended in the manual. Will this be a problem?

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Only problem is, I put in powersteering fluid instead of Mercon as recommended in the manual. Will this be a problem?

To be safe, I'd flush it out. You already have a hose barb in the line, that'd be a good place to drain the fluid from. Drain it, fill with ATF, run it, drain again and fill again with ATF.

You're already strectching your luck with the pump, IMHO I wouldn't push it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Yeah I just repaired it, gonna go outside and try it out. Only problem is, I put in powersteering fluid instead of Mercon as recommended in the manual. Will this be a problem?

Read the jug, see what it's compatable with ??

And Again.. What TG sez.

Last edited:

toobsluver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha! Worst case senario, I am driving with manual steering and brakes. Correct? I did it for 300 miles on the way here. LOL!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha! Worst case senario, [I am driving with manual steering and brakes. Correct?] I did it for 300 miles on the way here. LOL!

NO, If it fails.. yer driving with Much Less than Manual Steering & Brakes. yer driving with Failed/Faulty Steering & Brakes.

Short of Not responding to this..... I've gota say: For your Safety, and the Safety of others.. FIX IT !! Before you head home.

You were DAMN lucky to make it the 300 miles, get'n there.

Yer call though :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl