Which powerstroke??

blk450er

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the forum and to diesels. I currently have an 04 150 5.4 and is my current favorite truck with some minor mods to it. I own a construction business and pull a trailer everyday. The truck pulls fine but I know I want a diesel for my next truck for power and milage. Any SD would be an upgrade for me. I know I will do some mods to the diesel and I was just wondering which of the super dutys I should keep an eye out for and which ones I should stay away from, from the 6.7s on up to the new ones?

I heard that the 1st gen powerstrokes are the most reliable but have the least amount of power and that the 6.0s in stock form could have problems but if you rebuild some internals then it is a stud of a platform. Hopefully you guys could steer me in the right direction of reliability/power/milage.

Thanks for the help
James

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
7.3's are good motors, yea they are down on power but you can get some more power out of them with some upgrades. They are low rpm motors. They like to lug. Get an 05 or up 6.0. These are hot rods stock and are even better with head studs and programmers. Lots of info on these trucks on here. 6.4's are good, mileage sucks but havnt heard any other bad things. The newer the truck, the more dpf epa crap you have to deal with. Heard lots of complaints on those systems. Check yer local laws cause you could remove it if you dont have inspections or somethin. I only know some on the 7.3's since I own one. My cuz owns an 05 6.0 so i've helped him some on it. The really new stuff dont know much except for what ive read on here.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Also Welcome! Grab a chair and enjoy the tons of info on this site and lots of great people that will help ya on yer purchase.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
7.3's are good motors, yea they are down on power but you can get some more power out of them with some upgrades. They are low rpm motors. They like to lug. Get an 05 or up 6.0. These are hot rods stock and are even better with head studs and programmers. Lots of info on these trucks on here. 6.4's are good, mileage sucks but havnt heard any other bad things. The newer the truck, the more dpf epa crap you have to deal with. Heard lots of complaints on those systems. Check yer local laws cause you could remove it if you dont have inspections or somethin. I only know some on the 7.3's since I own one. My cuz owns an 05 6.0 so i've helped him some on it. The really new stuff dont know much except for what ive read on here.

Also Welcome! Grab a chair and enjoy the tons of info on this site and lots of great people that will help ya on yer purchase.

What Stroked just said and...

as you shop around.. get the VIN and get an Oasis Report, from Ford.

If you find a possible Keeper.. Post up any questions you might have.. Lots a Guyz & Galz on here that know the answers.. or can point you in the right direction...

WELCOME ABOARD ;tu;tu

Joe

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
as you shop around.. get the VIN and get an Oasis Report, from Ford.

If you find a possible Keeper.. Post up any questions you might have.. Lots a Guyz & Galz on here that know the answers.. or can point you in the right direction...

WELCOME ABOARD ;tu;tu

Joe

x2! Def post any questions. Most people on here fix their trucks themselves to save money and learn about their truck. Lots of yrs of knowledge on this site.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again, and I'm sure ill have tons if questions!

Welcome to SSD.com, ask away.
Service is the key to owning a Diesel truck, oil and filter changes and nothing but
Motorcraft oil filters for a 6.0, you will read why as you read this and other Diesel Forums.
If you can afford a new 2011 or 2012 the 6.7 is doing a real good job for everyone
who is working there trucks.
Doug

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I drove a 7.3 for 10 years and then bought my current 6.7. No complaints with either truck. You may have some difficulty finding a clean 7.3 in the salt belt. I have wrenched on a few 6.0 and a 6.4. Stick with the '05 and up 6.0 like everyone else said. You will also get the coil spring front axle on any truck '05 and newer which seem to have a better turning radius. The newer you get the higher the capacity ratings. If you get a 6.4 or 6.7 I highly recommend getting one with Sync. It makes using the phone while driving very easy. Find a truck and post any questions.

SGT Mudflap

Pull it son, PULL IT
Reaction score
I've had 2 7.3s. A 95 and I currently have a 03. Lovem both. Have many buddies with 6.0s and they love there's too.

Maintenance is the key. I haven't had any problems out of my 03.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58