Which powerstroke??

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
You cant go wrong with any 94.5-03 7.3.unless you plan on going over 400hp at the wheels.but sounds like you want to work it, not race it so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

The 6.0 is pretty good.they are nasty motors with 2 programmers stacked on it.but they need head studs when you start playing with mods.a little maintenance will go a long way with it.

I dont know much about the 6.4 other than it has plenty of power and my buddies has been nothing but a nightmare since day one.has 30,000 miles on it 10,000 of it by the dealer.already needs tires, just had front rotors, calipers and pads done last week.and if it gets into an accident the first 18"of the front end is almost $20,000.00 to repair.not really impressed with these trucks except the power.

I dont know anything about the 6.7 yet.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
we've got guys with each generation truck on here.. and each is gonna tell you, "I'm glad I finally broke down and got it.."

The 7.3s are nearly bulletproof, but they're getting scarce and quite rusty..

The early 6.0's had some reliability issues, but as long as you don't try to make 400hp out of them, the reliability is a lot better.. you'll probably have to put an EGR cooler on it somewhere.. but I can't tell you they're not a reliable motor. Heck, one member on here runs a farm equipment repair business and had a 6.0 truck in daily trailering use for quite some time.

Same with the early 6.4's The early ones had some issues that eventually led to International and Ford parting ways, but after the dust settled, it's a decent motor that like the 7.3, responds to modifications very well.

The 6.7 is like Stroked said, choked with EPA mandates like the 6.4L. If you're gonna pull the trigger on one, you better hurry, at least one tuner company has discontinued their "off road only" products, as the EPA has announced a crackdown on DPF/CAT removal tunes.

ponymoves

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys new to the site but ,I've had all 3 the 7.3 to me had the most pulling power and engine reliability but the trans on the 99 was crap...458k motor was tired... got a 06 not to bad on power trans alot better as it got close to 150k started losing injectors like crazy.. then popped a head due to a injector somehow went to washington and had to have 2 injectors put in in bellingham.. Made it back as far as medford lost another one then ac unit at Indio,ca Brought it into Phoenix and traded it in at 206k Now have a 10 with 6.4 Truck seems very weak not as much power to me as the 6.0 or the 7.3.. I pull a very large 6 horse trailer about 80% of the time and this 1 now struggles Bad... Milage is worse than the 6.0 my best was with the 7.3 at 14.5 pulling and 21 not As i said new here but those were my experiances Thanks Dan

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Hey Guys new to the site but ,I've had all 3 the 7.3 to me had the most pulling power and engine reliability but the trans on the 99 was crap...458k motor was tired... got a 06 not to bad on power trans alot better as it got close to 150k started losing injectors like crazy.. then popped a head due to a injector somehow went to washington and had to have 2 injectors put in in bellingham.. Made it back as far as medford lost another one then ac unit at Indio,ca Brought it into Phoenix and traded it in at 206k Now have a 10 with 6.4 Truck seems very weak not as much power to me as the 6.0 or the 7.3.. I pull a very large 6 horse trailer about 80% of the time and this 1 now struggles Bad... Milage is worse than the 6.0 my best was with the 7.3 at 14.5 pulling and 21 not As i said new here but those were my experiances Thanks Dan

Welcome! Great site to be on. Sounds like you need to get another 7.3! I havnt had any probs with me, not the fasted truck out there but will pull anything and gets decent mileage for a big ole truck!:sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14