Which shocks to put on.....

dogtrk

Pat
Reaction score
Getting ready to put some new shocks on the SD but not quite sure which ones to get. On one side I hear Bilsteins are the way to go and on the other Edelbrocks. I've always thought Bilsteins were the better of the two but wanted to get some opinions from you folks.

What's the difference betweeen the two shocks?? Truck is not lifted so that doesn't come into the equation. Appreciate any and all advice. :D

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BILSTEINS

I love mine...should have done it LONG AGO (the fake
factory fx4/ranchos were toast long before i pulled 'em
off @ 45k miles)

i was amazed that 1) i could feel the difference
and 2) could feel the diff. before i was even outta my
own driveway after having installed 'em myself !

youll find more superduty owners running bilsteins
than any other single shock..and everyone says the
same thing...should have done it earlier !

i got mine from eshocks.com...like everyone else
recommended and did before me.

Fire1

Certified Diesel Driver
Reaction score
I just put Bilsteins on my wife's '00 Explorer and they are the cat's behind. I love them and now wish I had spent the money on my truck. I put Monroes on mine and they are fine, but I think the Bilsteins are better.

Fine69

Reaction score
Another vote for Bilstein's. I put on the 5100 series about 2 months ago, and they are sweet!

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
i loved my bilsteins, but the set i just put on my truck blew out at around 30k, and i lost the reciept so i couldnt get free new ones.

i was faced with: bilsteins again, or ranchos for half the price and the same lifetime warranty.

so far i am enjoying the ranchos, with and without the trailer on i dont notice a difference between them and the 'steins. will see how long they hold up, but with lifetime warranty it doesnt much matter.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1st ive heard of someone blowing a set of shocks regardless of the brand name.

any idea what caused that ? too much weight ? off roading ? big lift ?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I have blown a bunch of them. Rancho's, Bilsteins, Ford OEM, Napa and a few others. Reason they blow up here is cold. I have hauled brand new Superdutys to the North slope and upon arriving in Deadhorse find that all four shocks are dripping.

Only shocks I have had good luck with are Trailmaster SSV's. I don't know who makes them for Trailmaster as there are only a few manufacturer's out there but I do know that after several years they are still not leaking. I do like the ride of the Bilsteins and the adjust-ability of the Rancho 9000's but they just don't last up here.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score

any idea what caused that ? too much weight ? off roading ? big lift ?

too much weight....no such thing! :D ok...yes, but not on the front (the fronts were puking oil) had 5600lbs of concrete in it once for a short ride. usually im overweight on the trailer, so the front isnt getting a workout, and is lighter if anything.

off roading, yes. i park all my trailers in the woods, and both of my barns are also in the woods. 1000 feet of hay field to get to them. not exactly baja, my mountain dew can stay in the spiller so i dont think thats the cause.

no lift...stock height obs f-350

on a side not my bronco NEVER blew any shocks, started with pro comps on 6" lift, 3 years later i put on ranchos and 14" lift. i wheeled the piss out of it, never had any problems. i see blown shocks all the time at work, puking oil everywhere, regardless of brand.

i think bilsteins are a great shock...just my set was built on a monday and the workers were still sleeping. money was tight so i went with the half price ranchos this time, and they had the same lifetime warranty as the bilsteins. my cousin had the trailmaster ssv's and they were a GREAT riding shock, but he never had a load on them so i dont know how they would have been with a few thousand lbs. pushing on them.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
My cousin had the trailmaster ssv's and they were a GREAT riding shock, but he never had a load on them so I dont know how they would have been with a few thousand lbs. pushing on them.

My SSV's do fine with a 3000# Camper in the bed.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i was thinking something more EXPLOSIVE...bummer 'bout
the receipt...other wise i hope bilstein would have repaired 'em.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim