Which Synthetic oil??

BigBadMarine

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Laying in a wet southeast Texas rice field.
I'm fairly new to the diesel scene (1 year now). I've been running Rottela since I've bought the truck. I'd like to switch to a good synthetic. Any recommendations? What needs to be done (engine flush?) when switching to a synthetic?

Thanks for any input in advance.

Nasty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most are good

these days as long as they meet the required specs. I use one that I know I can find in most any little town I might be in, (PetroCan "Duron"). Readily available in my neck of the woods.....it's a Canadian co. but I'm sure there must be similar products in Texas. Lots o peepz here will share there experiences I'm sure.
Welcome to the forums

jhamlin164

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Oorah, Devil Dawg!

I like to run the Amsoil fluids myself.............looks like in your part of the world, the 15W-40 would do you just fine, particularly if you tow heavy loads alot. If you don't, and you're interested in gaining a tad on the MPG side of the house, the Amsoil 5W-30 is awesome! :)

Jerry

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
I use the Royal Purple, it's not cheap but its good stuff. I've also noticed a slight improvement in MPG, about 2 MPG better than with Rotella.
I would Imagine that you would get even larger mileage improvements in a non-lifted truck.

But that's just my :2c

pete37922

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have rotella 5-40 syn in my truck, but am gonna switch to Amsoil 5-40 syn now

txastuff79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hooah. i run the valvoline deisel oil. the bottle says formulated for cummins but oh well. working good so far. i plan to switch to a synthetic soon, just not sure which one yet.

01SMOKINSD

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I use the amsoil 15w40. So far I havent really noticed any increase in fuel milage with its use, but I can tell you that the oil consumption in ZERO with the synthetic. If you use their eA oil filter you can run this for up to 25,000 miles. This is ofcourse with an oil analysis every 10,000 miles. If you go to amsoil.com you can become a preferred customer and order their products at cost. There is a $20 per year charge for this but I have saved that in the other products that I've ordered for other vehicles. You can also run the "new" 5w40 syn diesel oil that is made for the new diesels. It is reverse compatable and you should be able to notice a slight fuel milage improvment over the standard 15w40. Just my :2c

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running Royal Purple in my truck and love it. Like the 15,000 mile oil change. Change the filter at 6,000 picked up 2 mpg. An oil change is about 165.00. Hope this helps

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run AMSOIL Series 300 HD 5W-30 oil with a BY PASS filters system. Truck (X) has over 202K on engine with two oil changes.
Look at a BY PASS filter system.

FYI 202K MPG average is 15.3.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg