Which Synthetic oil??

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
So with the excellent job the 6.0 HPOP system does on shearing the oil in short order, are you Amsoil, RP, etc. guys saying these oils don't reach their shear point until up to 25K miles? Hmmmm...

It's not synthetic, but I use Delvac 5-30. Change it out every 4000 miles or 100 hours of fast iddle - whichever is less-. UOA's are coming in just about perfect... but the oil does show a bit of shearing.

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is correct over 200K with just two oil changes. During the first 100K I changed full flow filter every 10K and By Pass filter every 30 ~ 40K. I send in samples of oil every 10K
Now after the first 100K I started to change full flow filter every 10K and BY Pass every 20K and sample oil every other oil change.
For the first 4 years I would log 35K+ per year. Now it around 25K so I change oil filters every 20K and sample oil. This system has worked without any problems.
FYI on the gas engines I change oil once per year and the wife cars is diven about 22K+ per year. We have been doing these gas extended drains for over 12 years. In fact my wife had a 1997 Monte Carlo purchased Oct 1996. That car had over 100K on engine with only 7 oil changes and on the 8 oil change oil change sent and found a trace of anti freeze. DEX Cool problem or gasket it was time for replacement.
In wife case she purchased an 04 Malibu but anti freeze DEX Cool was changed to EVANS in first few months.

Also I stared in 82 with 7500 mile oil changes so I have no problem with extended drains.

Ken

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
uhhh. ok?

It reminds me of the Cummins motor the local Dealer brought in to my machinist one day. 100 some odd thousand miles on it, oil had never been changed on it. EVER. I wish I would have taken some pictures of the sludge in that motor.

I'm still a little confused though.. Reciprocating engines will burn a little bit of oil, by design. According to my machinist, just by design, a little oil will be burned in a well built engine. If the rings are too tight in the cylinder bore, (and subsequently not burning oil) the motor wasn't built right. I can see his reasoning. I wouldn't be surpried if a 6.0 will burn through 15 quarts in 100K miles.

But hey, if two oil changes in 200K miles works for you... More power to you. I'm still wondering about how sheared the oil is.

Ken1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you look up the oil HDD Series 300 5W - 30 or look up BY PASS filters systems for our engines you would have a better understanding of extended drains. The oil is designed to be used in extended drains.
Sometime back during the first 100K I logged every added qt of oil and recorded mileage. When all was done including filter changes I averaged a QT of makeup oil every 4,500 miles.

Ken

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Our family has used Amsoil since the early 80's. I have it everywhere in my truck but the crankcase............I don't know why.

Ken.........how well does the bypass system handle diesel soot in the oil?

Regarding sludge I have pics of a Toyota Previa mini van valve cover at 200K miles using Amsoil. There was ZERO.........NADA..........NO sludge whats so ever.

Tbar

Digital Oxygen

Got Boost?
Reaction score
Eh. I like my 10K motor. I'll change the oil in it as I have been. Seems to work out for me.

And surprisingly Ken, I am familiar with extended oil change byspass systems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58