Which Year PSD ?

KeystoneFlyer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Newbe here... looks like a great place here (and the PSD site) for advice. I have a very old 2DR/2WD F250HD 460 that is on it's last legs engine and body wise ... I am looking to buy my first PSD. I'd prefer a stock 06-07 F250/F350 4WD CCSB, $30-35,000, less than 40,000mi, as I like this year body over the newer ('08-'11) styles. With all the "potential" 6.0 issues, should I (1) bias my search to a truck ('07?) with some original warranty remaining and perhaps shell out for a Ford ESP power train warranty? (2) don't worry about a warranty and save the money for potential repairs? (3) hold off to see what issues arise with the 6.7 PSD and if that engine proves itself, get over the aesthetics and buy a used/2-3 year old 6.7. This may be my last truck so I want a keeper, not a regret filled money pit or unreliable headache. I'd prefer to buy a used well maintained truck in excellent condition. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your time and responses...

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
If you are dead set on a 6.0, get the latest you can get.

Yea newer the better. I'd rather see ya save yer money on the warranty and just do the repairs yerself cause I believe Ford would just replace the bad parts with revised parts. Lets say the head gaskets blow, I'd rather see ya put the stud kit in instead of Ford puttin new gaskets on it and sendin you on yer way. I assume they would just do gaskets? :dunno

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi KeystoneFlyer, and welcome to SDD. Have the dealer run an Oasis Report on what ever truck you decide to get. This will show all of the work done by FORD on the truck.

Dave :)

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea newer the better. I'd rather see ya save yer money on the warranty and just do the repairs yerself cause I believe Ford would just replace the bad parts with revised parts. Lets say the head gaskets blow, I'd rather see ya put the stud kit in instead of Ford puttin new gaskets on it and sendin you on yer way. I assume they would just do gaskets? :dunno

I would think so unless the headbolts are Torque to Yield. Either way, if you want to pay for it, IOW supply the ARP Head Studs, I'm sure they would use them

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea you would think.

I would because I have done that quite often. I have, for instance, brought OEM parts I got cheaper to the dealership for install. The stipulation is that if it breaks, you go chase the seller down. I only warranty my work and we sign off on that in the RO.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
I would because I have done that quite often. I have, for instance, brought OEM parts I got cheaper to the dealership for install. The stipulation is that if it breaks, you go chase the seller down. I only warranty my work and we sign off on that in the RO.

Yea I would probably do the same thing too. Of course I dont trust ANYONE workin on my truck. :rant. Only thing I cant do is a good alignment since I dont have the hi tech laser stuff and tires.

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I would probably do the same thing too. Of course I dont trust ANYONE workin on my truck. :rant. Only thing I cant do is a good alignment since I dont have the hi tech laser stuff and tires.

Not sure I want to try to get the cab off the truck in my garage. I will send it to the shop for that. I usually send the shops piddly stuff to establish a good relationship with the tech and weed out those I don't want touching my truck. Also I will check on it with some surprise visits.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Not sure I want to try to get the cab off the truck in my garage. I will send it to the shop for that. I usually send the shops piddly stuff to establish a good relationship with the tech and weed out those I don't want touching my truck. Also I will check on it with some surprise visits.

Good thinkin. :sweet. If you treat the techs good they will usually treat you good. We do that at our shop too. Works good!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58