Whine!!!

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi all. First post over here. Been registered and lurking for a little while now. Thanks Bill for the invite over here. Now for a problem I've been trying to kill.

Does anyone else have an annoying whine come from there PSD? My truck has one that I can't seem to figure out.

It sounds like a bad PS pump but I know it's not that. I've taken the belt off and ran the truck and the whine is still there. I am 99.9% sure the noise is coming from the LPOP. I have replaced the gears once before and it seemed to help for a little while. Now it's back. When I replaced the gears I didn't replace the cover. Does anyone think that replacing the cover will help this?

I noticed the old set of gears had ridges on the teeth and figured that may have been what caused the noise.

Anyone got any ideas?? It's so annoying I've thought of selling the damn truck because of it. I don't hear the noise on others I've listened to.

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mom's 99 stroke has the same prob. the dealer replaced the power steering pump and it still whines.....Let me know if you find a way to get this solved. That noise is so annoying :cussing:

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ripsaw said:
Does anyone else have an annoying whine come from there PSD? My truck has one that I can't seem to figure out.

Yep--I am VERY familiar with that sound. The whine I'm referring to comes from the front passenger's seat when I'm driving too fast/following too close (behind somebody doing 20 mph UNDER the speed limit, normally), cornering too hard, accelerating too vigorously, insert your own reason here...:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Ripsaw said:

My power steering pump whines when it's low on fluid. I had a small leak that was small enough I couldn't pin point it. I just had to wait until it got big enough to locate. But whenever the fluid level got low, the p/s pump would begin to whine. Add some more Mobil 1 tranny fluid, and no more whine.

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
police stroker said:
My mom's 99 stroke has the same prob. the dealer replaced the power steering pump and it still whines.....Let me know if you find a way to get this solved. That noise is so annoying :cussing:

Is this truck stick? I think it is more noticeable on 6 speeds since the rpm's are more controlable. I notice it the most when coming to a stop.

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
jvencius said:
Yep--I am VERY familiar with that sound. The whine I'm referring to comes from the front passenger's seat when I'm driving too fast/following too close (behind somebody doing 20 mph UNDER the speed limit, normally), cornering too hard, accelerating too vigorously, insert your own reason here...:roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

Yeah, thing is I can stop that kind of whine real easy! :roflmao :roflmao

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My HPOP whines and complains rather loudly on very cold days but is totally unnoticable when the engine gets to operating temps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14