Whining new pump?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced my old pump because it was whining and the fluid was burnt and now the new one is whining as well after a couple hundred miles. I purged the system and flushed as much black fluid out as I could by unhooking the return from the hydroboost and pumping the brakes into a bottle. The fluid is black again and the pump even whines at idle. I then bypassed the cooler thinking that may be the problem, no dice. Fluid is topped off.
Any thoughts?
Jesse

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
why do you think the pumps get replaced?

there's air in the system..
got a vacuum bleeder?

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
what I do, is put my round master cylinder adapter for the fill-bottle of my Vacula on the end of the suction hose.. and put it over the neck of the pump res.

fire the truck up and hit the vacuum..

between the fluid moving through the system and the reduced pressure, you can get a suprising amount of air out of a suppossedly "bled" system..

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
You have to get ALL of the burnt fluid out of the system, to do any good. Ford really has a problem with their ps pumps being noisy, and sensitive to contamination and heat. 1 way i've done the flush without fancy tools is to remove the return line at the pump and put the line in a drain pan, then cap off the port on the resevoir(the new pump usually has a cap on this port when you remove it from the box), then with someone running the key, start the truck and let the pump "pump" the old fluid and air out while you keep the resevoir full with an open bottle of fluid. Use a big bottle of new fluid and be ready to shut the truck off once it's empty, or you'll be back to square one. Flush until the fluid comes out the return line like new. Then get some "lucas" power steering additive and put that in to help further with the noise and pump surges. Sorry for the long post, hope this helps. I've done many fords this way, back when I turned wrenches for a living. Good Luck!

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If a flush doesn't help, does my steering box need service/replacement? Do they go bad?
Thanks,
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can the steering box be creating/have a blockage in the system? Do they go bad? If the truck isn't rolling I have no power steering...seems to me that I have nothing and I want to think that my brakes aren't what they used to be... Advance sells the reman box for $160 or $180 depending on what spline count my shaft is (not sure how to figure that out without counting them...grr...)
Any thoughts?
Jesse

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the SD power steering is a PITA to get all of the air out of due to the fact that you have lines running up to the brake booster.

if you have any air in the system then you are not going to have the flow at the pressure needed when the truck is at idle. I will bet that you will have adequate power steering if you toss the truck in neutral and run the idle up a bit.

It is theoretically possible for you to have a restriction in the power steering but highly unlikely.

You can usually rent vac pumps from autozone or advance that will help you vac out the air from the system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58