Whining Noise Generation

jagular7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
This is the second time I towed my Jeep on a trailer through the CO mtns. On the other side of Denver, in the rain up to the snow on 70 into the Eisenhower tunnel, this noise came up several times just like last year. I don't know what it is related to. I'm thinking trans, but it only happens in the CO mtns. I mostly drive the F350 CC/cc local here in KC and haved pulled the Jeep on other trips, but the whining noise is not heard. It appears only in the CO mtns.

Take a listen. From 2 to 14 sec, you can hear the whine. Then again near the 36sec mark you can hear it whine up. It is related to rpm as rpm increases the pitch also increases.

JRJ04

Reaction score
Well, first of all, I see that your Check Engine Light is on. Do you know why it is? Have you had it scanned to see what the code is?

As far as the noise goes, that sounds to me like your fan clutch engaging...which would be completely normal in your conditions. For one thing, you've got a load on it. Granted its only a jeep and not that heavy of a load for your truck...its still a load, and its amplified quite a bit because you are going uphill, and the air is MUCH thinner, with less oxygen in it (11k feet is getting up there).

So, I'd say your engine is going to be working harder anyways because its dumping in the same amount of fuel, with less oxygen, which means higher egt's which means more heat. Top that off with the fact that you're tugging approx 4k lbs behind you...I'd say everything is working like it should:sweet

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Noise

I listen to that damm fan as soon as the temp outside hits 78 deg. I hear it empty or pulling a trailer in fact it was doing it today. I've complained to the dealer for years they say it's OK. Going to miss my Ford Harley but not all the problems I'm having

jagular7

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys. I'm heading to Clayton, OK from KC, MO this holiday weekend. Like I said, I don't hear that whining till I get into some mtns.

Yah, check engine light is on. Its the #2 heating element (glow plug). It probably needs replacing. It came on about 3 weeks before my trip.

What really sucks, I cleaned the EGR valve before the trip. During the trip, in cruise while towing, the engine would shutter when trying to slowly accelerate. Then the rpms would kick up a bit, black smoke come out of the tailpipe, and it would accelerate. The shuttering would quit with the higher rpms.
I do have the egr delete kit I should get installed.

Last edited:

JohnBoyToo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that fer sure is your fan, just at high rpm's it sounds more like a whine....

here in Texus heat, it is usually a ROAR for me because it comes on at low rpm's like when just starting from a stop lite in traffic....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58