whistling truck at highway speeds.

ducky1402

Reaction score
ok very strange thing happening in my truck..... Doesn't happen always worst when driving into wind or hitting me on the side, however truck whistles or "hums" loudly above 65 or so. Sounds like its from windshield or wipers somewhere around there but can't pinpoint it and afraid of stealership....Wondering if it is the plastic below the windshield not sure what it would be called or even if thats issue..Any ideas?????

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your sure it's not coming from your tires, then I would put tape all around the
windshield, then take it for a drive. If you hear nothing when your in the wind,
try pulling one short peace of tape off at a time, tell you hear what your looking for.
If you think it could be the wipers, take them off and go for a ride.
Good luck, these things can upset us real fast.
Doug

trailey97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine hums REALLY BAD...but its around 40mph when i let out the gas and coast...i think tranny... i agree with WD40!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok very strange thing happening in my truck..... Doesn't happen always worst when driving into wind or hitting me on the side, however truck whistles or "hums" loudly above 65 or so. Sounds like its from windshield or wipers somewhere around there but can't pinpoint it and afraid of stealership....Wondering if it is the plastic below the windshield not sure what it would be called or even if thats issue..Any ideas?????

Mine does the something. I'm thinking it's the trim around the windshield. The wife was checking it out the there day driving across the bay. It's in the upper right corner and across the top. It only happens if the wind hits it the right way. I'm going to pop the trim off here soon and run a bead of clear silicone on the inside. Let it dry then snap it back in place.

ducky1402

Reaction score
ok ill tape her down first hopefully i can identify where it is and then maybe silicone it down for a final solution

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok ill tape her down first hopefully i can identify where it is and then maybe silicone it down for a final solution

I'm using the silicone as a damping. Run a bead and let it dry then reinstall.

FINKSTR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... back in one of my previous lives, I was a windnoise engineer at Ford. Windnoise? I've heard them all. I remember one time testing an "F" series truck with a noise that sounded like an "atomic tea kettle"! BUT... after using lots of hi-tech gagetry, we always resorted to the old "tape-everything-and-peel-it-off-a-little-at-a-time" approach until we found it. It didn't always work, but it was a great start! Bottom line? I agree with WD40. Good luck!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say Door Weather Stripping.

Even with the door seal mod.. with a good 45 to 90* crosswind, I can get a slight Howling/Buzzing/Hissing sound.. from the top front corners of the D-side.. or P-side doors.

Nature of the Beast(s).. :dunno

Joe

gmcretz

Gunner
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread that hasn't been replied to in a while. There are 3 separate issues that can aid in the buzzing sound around the doors:

1st - The body seal at the edge of the door has a secondary seal that lays on top of it. People have sealed the 2 together to aid in limiting or reducing the noise.

2nd - There is a plastic "thing" that is press fit onto the door itself just inside the mirror mounting location that can come loose. People have also epoxied these so that they don't move at all.

3rd - The door seal mod, pull it out and run a 1/4" latex rubber band inside the large cavity of the door seal.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58