white crusty deposits

bakoford350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i was reading another thread about overheating and somone said to look at the coolent bottle for white crusty deposits around it.i thought i would look at mine to check since when i pull my trailer my engine as got hot.when i did i noitced white crusty deposits around the bottle.what does this mean?

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Like Bush said, you could be overfilling it, make sure you don't fill it up past the MIN on the bottle. It's also possible that you have an EGR related issue, or absolute worstcase (and unlikely unless you're running some HOT tunes) it could be a headgasket issue.

I'd clean the bottle off, and keep a close eye on it, to see if you can pinpoint what conditions it is causing it to "puke" out the coolant, like were you towing, heavy acceleration, steep climb, etc....

If it continues to happen, after verifying appropriate coolant level, you should get your dealer to look at it, if it's still under warranty.

Also fill out your signature, with your trucks info, so we can better help you in the future.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
you want the coolant in the tank to be about here...

and you don't want your underliner (if you have one) to look like this...

lets just say a had a problem....:lmao

Scooter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a possibility in a crack in the degas tank. That is the problem that I had with mine.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
I am having the same problem with my 6.0. I replaced the degas tank because it had a crack in it, but I am still getting over-flow. The liquid level is between the max and low (so not over filled). I can see the flow from the EGR cooler although not smooth flow. Recently replaced the EGR valve. The temp gauges (engine and tranny) read in the normal so the engine is not over heating.

I checked Ford's list of past repairs and it listed that the water pump was replaced in 2003, but did not indicate why. When the engine is up to temperature, the radiator hoses feel normal (pressure and temp).
I am not getting any white smoke (vapors) from the exhaust, but I am losing about two cups of coolant a week. I don't see any other leaks except from the degas tank after running awhile.

Any input would be great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14