Help Needed White smoke and Oil Everywhere

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I take the ol' girl out this weekend to the camp to go fishing. About a two hour drive from the house. Haven't really drove her in about a month, besides to the store and back, since I changed the oil(Rotella Synthetic). Everything is fine on the way down. EGT's, Boost and Trans all looking good. About halfway there we stop to get some drinks and ice and when I pull and park I leave her running and notice white smoke just pouring out of my exhaust while idling. I let her cool down and then shut down and check the fluids. Everything looks good. I figured maybe it was just from me pushing her hard, a steady 80 down the Hwy, and from my programming but I keep on rollin to the camp. I still have a steady stream of smoke while cruising and it pours out on acceleration. Get home this evening and have a chance to look things over. Set my programming back to stock and take her for a spin to warm up. Climb underneath and there's oil all over the oil pan, the passenger side manifold, the IC boot off of the turbo.

The white smoke I think is the EGR cooler gone bad. But I can't see any cracks or moisture on the cooler itself even after getting her up to operating temp. I tried to pull the EGR valve to see if there was any coolant in the manifold but I couldn't get it out. Maybe the HG's finally went? But there's no odd noise or coolant that I can see.

The oil I think is maybe the oil lines to the turbo leaking or possibly the heater control valve( I think its on that side under the turbo).

I got 81,500 on the ticker and now is a good time for this to happen so I can get it under warranty. Any thoughts before I shove off to the stealership?

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
The white smoke I think is the EGR cooler gone bad. But I can't see any cracks or moisture on the cooler itself even after getting her up to operating temp. I tried to pull the EGR valve to see if there was any coolant in the manifold but I couldn't get it out. Maybe the HG's finally went? But there's no odd noise or coolant that I can see.

The oil I think is maybe the oil lines to the turbo leaking or possibly the heater control valve( I think its on that side under the turbo).

I got 81,500 on the ticker and now is a good time for this to happen so I can get it under warranty. Any thoughts before I shove off to the stealership?
I would check the oil cooler and the EGR cooler. White smoke is the indicator that liquid is getting into the intake or a bad head gasket. Does the white smoke stop when it warms up? Take the degas cap off and worm it up. if it is a head gasket the white smoke should be always (hot or cold) if it is the coolers the it normally stops when hot and no pressure on the degas.

oil coolers are notorious for overheating the EGR coolers and making them leak. Try not to wait too long to fix the white smoke problem because you can get hydro-lock from the liquid getting into the cylinders and bending (or breaking) the piston rods.

Make sure to change BOTH the coolers at the same time.

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I finally heard something from the dealership. Coolant was about a half gallon low from a leaking heater control valve. $270 to get that fixed. The oil and smoke was from the turbo leaking oil and blowing it out of the exhaust. So I'm getting a new turbo for a $110 under warranty. Not as bad as I thought it was going to be. They gave me a little flak about my aftermarket intake, exhaust and gauges but all is well for the time being.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I got a little flak from Ford over my guages, but I stopped that fast. There is no reason not to have guages and it does not enhance engine performance.

Dave

f_250pstroke02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cleared em up pretty quick about the gauges. If they would install some decent one's from the factory I wouldn't have to add aftermarket ones.

I finally got my truck back friday evening with a rebuilt turbo that didn't cost me anything, not even a deductible, but she is still smoking like a frieght train while idling. The service manager told me that it would still smoke for awhile because of the amount of oil that had accumulated in the downpipe and then he said that it would continue to smoke a little because I don't have a kitty cat. Since I put my exhaust on I never got any smoke, that was white, to come out of the exhaust before this problem. I'm beginning to wonder if they even touched the turbo. I've put about 75 miles on her since I left the dealership and like I said I still have white smoke pouring out at idle and on acceleration. I figured that the accumulated oil would've burnt off by now?

Could it still possibly be the HG's or the EGR?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58