White smoke when starting in cold

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why is it doing that

Unburnt fuel.. until all the combustion chamber temps get up to the flash point of #2 ULSC (winter blend to boot) Diesel fuel.

You may have a weak Glow Plug Relay, or a couple of bad Glow Plugs.

AND/OR.. It's a DIESEL. They/We ALL can smoke a bit on a Cold Start, on a Cold morning...... Ever been by a construction site ? Or a truck parking area ? BIG smoke.

Last edited:

Bbasso

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
One tank ago I put in marvels oil and it would puff out a cloud of white smoke on start up. Now that that tank is gone and back to straight diesel fuel... No more smoke.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
reminds me, my GPR crapped out Tuesday and I forgot to order a Stancor..
guess I'll have to flip an AutoZone special on it or it may not start this morning..

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stick the crappy one one for a couple of days and when the stancor arrives take the crappy one back and tell them that it isn't working correctly and you need to go to the stealership to get the correct one...... ;)

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold Weather

CKyle494,

I see your in Maryville. I have a home in Wears Valley but i have not been there with the PowerStroke since I bought it last month. Are you having to plug in in the winter? If so about what temp are you plugging her in and for how long?

It snowed here in MS Friday night about 1.5 - 2 inches worth and was down to about 20 degrees. I was in a hotel for State Championship football games and could not plug in. She stared easy enough but was rough for about 3 seconds.

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not plugging it in yet. Runs kind of rough in the mornings, have a couple or even more, of injectors bad that I can't afford to replace yet, burns about a quart of oil every 125 miles. Have a stancor relay and it does wonders for starting. Last year I was in Michigan at 25F and it would not start at all, before stancor relay, plugged in for 2 hours and it fired off easily. If you come up give me a holler'. Snowed last week and was pretty to look at but needs to stay up in the MTNS not in the valley. I like warm weather, SOUTH for the winter....;tu

McDizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys my truck is starting super super hard now that its getting colder and was wondering how do I know when it's my GPR or the plugs themselves?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58