white smoke when starting

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Ive noticed now that its turned cold, i get a big puff of white smoke and its followed by 2-3 seconds of white smoke. after that its back to normal. is this normal?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive noticed now that its turned cold, i get a big puff of white smoke and its followed by 2-3 seconds of white smoke. after that its back to normal. is this normal?

Yep, depending on how cold out it is, and how long it has set.. a puff of smoke is normal. It's a Dezel ;).

Kinda hard to do (for some) but.. next time you start it (?).. Be sure and Not step on the throttle.. just turn the key, WTS, and let it fire up on it's own ?

Joe

Some of what you see, after it starts, could be some condensation (steam).. just like a Gasser ?

Last edited:

thelastcion

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was getting this in my O7 and it turned out to be my EGR cooler was going bad.

Water was leaking into the cooler from the coolant lines and eventually worked its way into the exhaust system.

JRJ04

Reaction score
I was getting this in my O7 and it turned out to be my EGR cooler was going bad.

Water was leaking into the cooler from the coolant lines and eventually worked its way into the exhaust system.

he's got a 7.3L so no EGR for him. I'd say its normal.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its normal -All diesels will, my truck does it when i start it in the morning and the 6.4 at work does it too, if your egr cooler is going bad it will smoke all the time and will have unexplained loss in coolant, I don't know why everyone jumps to that conclusion right off the bat...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14