Who Can explain

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the proper operation of a properly installed (stepper motor) EGT gauge with Thermocoupler.
Thanks for your reply.....

jvencius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the proper operation of a properly installed (stepper motor) EGT gauge with Thermocoupler.
Thanks for your reply.....

1) It's a Thermocouple, not thermocoupler

2) Here's how it operates: step on the loud pedal, the EGT (and, consequently the display needle) goes up. Get off of that pedal, EGT goes down.

Last edited:

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Do you want to know how a thermocouple functions or are you asking what the proper temps and functions of a EGT guage is? Whatza stepper motor?

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just want to know is it normal to see temps go up to about 400 or so while driving around town? I see the temps go down aprox 100 to 200 while accellerating normally from a stop. Do EGT's actually get cooler when accellerating lightly?
As far as stepper motor gauge, thats what is says on the box.
I have Dipricol gauges

Thanks for your reply

COMPOSER

COMPOSER
Reaction score
Just the opposite. as you excellerate, the exhaust temprature rises and your piro guage should rise also. if you have temp readings of 400 around town, i would think you have the thermocouple after turbo. remember more power on accelleration and under high demand, the exhaust climbs considerably.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
EGT's measure the Exhaust Gas Temperatures just after they exit the engine. The more you push on the throttle, the higher the temperatures are. They do not cool down with any throttle, only stay the same or rise slowly. A stepper motor is used to move the needle in the guage. It moves it in very small increments and not in a smooth analytical movement. The steps are small enough that you will not see them, I don't think.

Dave

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EGT temps of 400 degree's is normal for driving around town. During any sort of acceleration the egt's normally go up, not down.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Just want to know is it normal to see temps go up to about 400 or so while driving around town? I see the temps go down aprox 100 to 200 while accellerating normally from a stop. Do EGT's actually get cooler when accellerating lightly?
As far as stepper motor gauge, thats what is says on the box.
I have Dipricol gauges

Thanks for your reply

I see, you have a problem with your pyro. You should idle @ approx 300°F when the engine is warm. Driving around town in traffic you should be seeing temps in the 600-700°F range and accelling from a stop you should be rising in temp, not falling.

Are you pre or post turbo with your probe location?

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm Pre-turbo installed on drivers side exhaust manifold

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, when WOT is applied the EGT gauge goes to 0. when I let off it comes back up to about 500 on the gauge and this happens every time.... Think maybe something might be wired backwards? I got the factory wireing harness when purchased so the gauges come wired from the factory. any thoughts? what to look for...?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg