Question Who either has switched or been tempted with Ecoboost?

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I had a 7.3 crew - I rather wish I hadn't sold it. BUT...I don't miss calculating the $$ spent on each trip to town and overall running costs. I did very much enjoy the pulling power with 8k lbs on the bumper.

That being said, at the time when I had the truck I was pulling 8klbs probably 1-2 times a month. Now my life has changed and I no longer have that need.

I'm looking to getting another truck, and I'm figuring now that I may pull that much only 3-4 times a year or so (if at all - long story but it's a motorcycle trailer). So while I'm ok with losing the outright capability if I can get reasonably close with a 1 ton I think I should.

I can pull smaller loads and still get done 95% of what I need to get done and I don't expect to pull as often as I did at least for a few more years.

So with the growing capabilities of 1/2 ton trucks has anyone here "downgraded"? If you did, would you admit it here? :D

Has anyone gotten a 1/2 ton and totally regretted it?

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
The new F150's hands down. Best in class fuel economy and towing. You can get the 5.0 or that eco boost v6 which I hear tons of great news. But thats the newer trucks. You could probably get an 04 or newer F150 with the 5.4 decently priced.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a new company truck November 01, 2011. It a 2011 F150 crew cab 2WD with the 5.0L engine. It is a very good pickup but I don't think it would replace my 250. I do move farm equipment around and did so with a 150 prior to the 250. It got moved but there was no margin for error. It's not necessarily how well you pull it but more importantly how well you can stop it. Im only getting about 17.4 mpg on the new truck with 85% of that being highway miles. I get that plus a little better on my 04 250.

Just to let you know prices as well, the sticker was $32,935. Company paid $20,314 for the truck. It is only an XL but has cruise, tilt, 6 speed auto, AC, ps/pb, am/fm, trailer brakes, towing package, no carpet and cloth interior. I've added a portable Warn 9.5ti receiver mounted winch, front receiver, Warn quick hookup wiring pakage front and rear, rollback bed cover, 1000 watt inverter and 800 MgHtz radio system.

My company truck I turned in was a 2007 F150 supercab with the 5.4L and everything else. It average 16.0 mpg over it's very detailed fuel man life of 155,000 miles. I pulled a 24 foot cargo box to Orlando once and only got 9.3 mpg. This new truck is much better than the 07 model.

Last edited:

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, looks NEW you can either get Ecoboost 150 with lost of *stuff* or a rather plain F250 with the 6.2L gasser.

Having a 3/4 ton gasser may not be so bad. I AVERAGED @14-16 with my PSD with FX4 package. Gotta have 4WD where I live.

Still need to percolate on this for a bit. I don't want to have necessarily just too much truck - like I said - I don't expect to pull the heavy trailer very often - if even at all!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I was considering the Ecoboost F-150. But I found out the warranty was only 60,000 miles. The Ecoboost is an intriguing power plant. But it is also a complex unit with twin turbo chargers. With a motor that is relatively new to the market, I felt it should be backed with a better warranty. Other manufacturers offer 100,000 mile warranties on their gas motors. If the Ecoboost F-150 had a 100,000 mile warranty, there was a very good chance I would have gone that route instead buying of the 2011 GMC Duramax that I did.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'd like to trade something in on the 6.2 gasser.. I mean hell, F250 & 350's came with a 5.8 for the better part of a decade.. dunno if it's gonna be my 7.3, as it's becoming quite the rustbucket.. or the kids half-ton Silverado.. as that's becoming quite the rustbucket as well..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14