Who Makes the Trannies for 99-02 Superduties ???

mcd176

Mike Dougherty
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have been in discussions whit my brother in law about the Ford Trannies in the Superduties, I have decided on a 99-02 F250 With the Powerstroke, However I have always been a Chevy guy and my brother has a 2003 Duramax, He claims that the Fords will not hold up and they have had alot of problems with the trannies and the powerstroke engines. PLEASE guys tell me what ya think, I love the fords due to their looks and size compared to the Chevys and the fact that my father in law works at the Indianapolis Powerstroke plant!

Mike:dunno

RenoF250

DungBeetle
Reaction score
Ford makes the Ford tranny. I was a Chevy guy too but I love this truck. I have 128k on the stock tranny and it is working fine. I have not done any pulling though. I believe all three brands have had their share of tranny problems, Dodge probably the most.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you go to do your shopping, it is best to pay close att. to a lot of things. I am Quoting one of our Fuorm members MIKE K

(Between informative forums like this one, CARFAX, Ford's OASIS, and other internet sites, you should know just about everything about the vehicle. It should just boil down to how you like the truck and how much you are willing to pay for it. If it helps, tell us about the truck you are looking for and what the dealer is asking, there are guys on here that can tell you if the price is just right or not.)
Hope this will help you to find the truck of your dreams.

oi8228oi

another 99
Reaction score
OB NJ, land of traffic, stop lights, stop signs, a
i have 157k on my truck, its on its second transmission, and for about 130k of the 157 the original owner was pulling bobcats and other such toys. the trans was replaced in the 120's i now have a chip and other such things done to it, the trans is fine and shifts beautifully. i did install a bully dog shift kit and a deeper pan recently. im not worryed about my trans going any time soon, even if i was to start towing like some of the other guys on this forum, and if it does it gives me a good reason to buy one of those nice ones:D with the heavy duty torque converters and all done up nice. just my :2c

silverado3500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 7.3 is a great engine. Aside from advising that you carry a spare CPS and a 10mm socket in the glovebox, as the CPS is the weak link in the engine, but is a simple to replace.

I don't hold a lot of faith in the automatic transmission for towing (in its stock form). It can be upgraded to make it reliable. The 6 Speed is the ZF6-S650, which is the identical transmission installed in GM 2500HD/3500s with the duramax/8.1 big block. The 6 speed is good out of the box. I beat the heck out of mine, and it just keeps on going.

Big K

SDD.com Hacker/Admin
Reaction score
Seen tons of all 3 Auto's Trannies FAIL!!!!

I don't trust any of them STOCK, that is why i upgrade mine :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14