Who runs WVO or B100 in PSD

Mat Dope

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im planning on buying a ford SD with the power stroke not sure which model yet 99 or up. i really want to run it on an alt fuel and i see alot of tucks in my area with the second tank in the bed for WVO.

how do these engines run on straight WVO? i would oviously run it heated up and stuff, i dont really have to worry about it freezing up at all as i live in south florida.

or do i really need to run bio100% over the WVO. i know it will be alot more work but does it really have that big of an advantage other then you dont have to modify anything on the car?

please list what fuel your running and what you have set up.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Hi Mat and welcome to the SuperDutyDiesel community:welcome3

I recommend the 7.3L PowerStrokes up to 2003 for they can run on B100 and 100% clean WVO when properly setup but I'll let the gurus chime in on WVO setups for our trucks:sweet

I've ran concentrations up to B100 during the warmer months due top the fuel stays more liquid rather than gelling up when it's cold out.
BioDiesel can be ran in the 7.3L with no mechanical modifications needed to be done,just keep an extra fuel filter on hand as the BioDiesel will cleanse the tank and lines which the gunk ends up at the fuel filter which will needed to be changed after the first fillup or two of BioDiesel.

Currently we run B20 in the 02 Excursion for the engine runs much better and quieter on BioDiesel than straight pump diesel fuel;)

This summer we'll be producing our own BioDiesel but thats a whole other subject:)

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I run B99.9 (commercial ASTM) and WVO in my PSD. Next month will be a year since I converted my truck. My truck runs great on WVO but getting your collected waste oil sediment free and water free (as much as humanly possible) is the key. Unless you have a steady source of good used oil...you have NOTHING! After weighing the benefits of WVO I decided that making home bioD was not for me. No chemicals and no cares what the spot price for methanol is. I hear it's going up fast. The saying goes...If you have one vehicle, convert it. If you have more than one...make home bioD.

Last edited:

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running a type of bio-diesel for about 1.5 years now. I do not mix my WVO with methanol, but a mixture of kerosene, gasoline and a couple other ingredients to use up all of the WVO. My truck runs great on it and I have had no problems as far as the engine running on it, unless I mix it too thick in the winter. But a mixture of half diesel and bio usually works then.:thumbs

Mat Dope

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info guys. i am leaning toward the 7.3 with the second tank running WVO. i will have no problem filtering it well and heating it to get rid of the water, i just dont really have the time or space to make B100, and on top of that the rising cost to make it.

do you guys have any good links to sites where you can purchase the parts to get it set up or maybe a kit?

dpantazis

Reaction score
well, the cat's meow is the vegistroke stroke system. jason is a stand up guy. the product is good. pricey though.

i know a guy with the greasel system on an X. i am not impressed by it.

some of us roll our own, some are still rolling (me), others are burning WVO (joat, roreri, etc...).

7.3's are almost bullet proof. i think that they are more reliable than the 6.0's and are even simpler. the biggest thing is that they are universally so well understood.

the second tank is the biggest issue. you can be creative and cut out the xmember that hold up the tire and stuff a bronco tank in its place, or use a chassis-cab fuel tank. you can get real creative on this one.

as far as general WVO info, there is some here and at the drama stop. other usual 'places' are the forums at infopop, biodiesel.org sites, and journey to forever. i got interested in it buy the josh tickle book. its ok, good considering its vintage.

so i would glean the info on the 'other' sites and then ask the PSD specifics here.

dennis

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I prefer bio. In fact, I just today filled both tanks with b99 for the first time in many months due to availability and it sounds better already. Bio would require you replace a couple of fuel lines but they are inexpensive and not anything to be concerned over. under $50

Mat Dope

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I prefer bio. In fact, I just today filled both tanks with b99 for the first time in many months due to availability and it sounds better already. Bio would require you replace a couple of fuel lines but they are inexpensive and not anything to be concerned over. under $50

yeah i just dont know how avalible bio is to me i would probly have to make my own, although i did just notice there is a supplier about an hour from me that im going to look into. setting up a two take system almost doesnt look like its worth the cost

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14