Who wants to laugh at me???

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Over the weekend I was getting my mountain bike ready for the season. Had to change the tires, get the studded ones off, and replace some stripped (rounded out) allens holding my front brake disc on. I won't go in to why they were rounded but I picked up some new ones that took a 3mm instead of the 4.5mm of the originals. On the face of the disc was printed "tq 55 in/lbs". I immediatley translated that into ft/lbs for some reason grabbed the smaller of my 2 clicker style tq wrenches and tried to tighten a 3mm allen to 55 ft/lbs. (For anyone as dense as me, It's impossible! the allen will round out or the tool will break long before you hit 55) All the time in the back of my head I'm thinking this can't be right, but tried anyway and of course never got the click from the wrench. Yesterday I stopped by my bike shop for something else and noticed the mechanic doing the same thing I was but with a tiny rod style tq wrench. I asked him how he gets them to 55 ft/lbs without problems. He of course schooled me on the in/ft difference. I always thought it was just metric or standard--- period! I had no clue there were differing degrees of each.

There is a reason I make my living with wood and not metals. :dizzy :doh:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rolleyes: that seems vaguely familiar :doh:

so do i understand you to be saying some easy-outs are
in your future :sly or were you able to slot the head of the
bolt w/ a wizzer wheel/dremil tool :innocent

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Well, if you ever have to properly torque the fuel bowls on a Holley 750 double pumper, I can say from experience its 7 INCH pounds. Been there, stripped that. :rolleyes:

Scot

;()
Reaction score
:rolleyes: that seems vaguely familiar :doh:

so do i understand you to be saying some easy-outs are
in your future :sly or were you able to slot the head of the
bolt w/ a wizzer wheel/dremil tool :innocent

When the time comes, I was thinking of slotting with the dremmell. To make things worse, since they became loose after only 300 miles I dabbed a smidge of blue locktight on there too. :doh: For now they are in good and staying there until the disc NEEDS to come off.

Reaction score
nah the blue lock tight is the removable one. What i wanna see is what you had holding the bike while trying to apply 55 lbs of force. :roflmao

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Well, if you ever have to properly torque the fuel bowls on a Holley 750 double pumper, I can say from experience its 7 INCH pounds. Been there, stripped that. :rolleyes:

ME ME ME!
I worked my way through a year of college at a speed shop rebuilding Holley & Carter carbs..

I replaced lots of base plates & heli-coiled lots of metering plates because of the "tighter is better" mentality

Scot

;()
Reaction score
in - ft bla bla bla it is all relative ;)

Studded tires on your bike :sweet

It's the only way to stay on it through the winter. Without them I would break many many bones. I think there is 198 on each tire & they're carbide points.

You could use some up there! But they wouldn't stop the steel parts from getting brittle at those temps. :cold2

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14