Whoops! ran out of diesel, what now?

99_psd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys i made the mistake of running out of diesel in my 99, so I've put some more diesel in, and i've popped the cap off of the fuel filter on the engine and filled it with diesel, and I've cranked it for quite a while and still nothing. any suggestions? any tricks that i need to do?
any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Acetcruiser

Hello
Reaction score
you should also check the HPOP make sure its full of oil sometimes i read that if ou crank alot it'll run out of oil and never start

police stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might need to prime it....on diesels you have to take apart some of the fuel connections and re prime the system. Thats what the dealer told me. I'd take it to the dealer and see if they can help you out.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if you filled up teh fuel filer and re-attatched teh lid, chedked the oil.

then turn the key on and let it go through the prestart sequence untill you hear the fuel pump shut off, about 60 seconds or less.
do this 3 or 4 times, that should get you up to speed enough to catch and run.
the problem is the dead end fuel rail has no way to purge teh air in teh heads, so we need to squeeze it, so some fuel can get to at one or two injectors to get her to start and then she will purge the air, may run rough for a few . another reason to do the external fuel regulator and return.
let us know

99_psd

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Acetcruiser said:
you should also check the HPOP make sure its full of oil sometimes i read that if ou crank alot it'll run out of oil and never start

Update! you know that may have had something to do with it I'm not sure, anyway Hey thanks again guys, got her running last night! I tried a combination of things, I tried draining that fuel bowl and priming it, still couldn't get it to start, then I remembered that when I worked at the ford dealer here in town the diesel tech would sometimes have me go out to the trucks with him to see if we could get them to start- we'd take a can of starting fluid and spray it down the intake tube until it started, and we knew that if it ran for a few seconds then stopped that it was having a fueling problem. So I went to wal-mart got some starting fluid and along with my brother-in-law, got it running, at first it seemed like I still wasn't getting fuel because it would only run just a little bit, then you could hear the engine actually running on diesel, and it coughed and sputtered for a while, then took off!
I want to say thank you again for all the help regarding this, if there's one thing that I'm taking away from this it's rule #1: DON'T RUN OUT OF DIESEL EVER AGAIN! what a pain in the ass!

Thanks
Sky

On a side note I see that you have a Jayco trailer, I work at an RV dealer here in Bend and we service those things, how do you like it?

Acetcruiser

Hello
Reaction score
well i just bought it the day after thanksgiving so i've only got to sleep in it one night ......pulled it home from NY put it in storage (100 miles from me) for aboujt 3 months brought it back home took it to the dealer to get all the stickers replaced on the out side.....so far so good.....i don;t like the way the heat works so far haven't had time to really look into it but it seems to run ALOT i'm thinking that most of the heat goes up to the bed room and not so much to the back of the trailer can barley feel the heat in the bathroom....gonna try and cover the bedroom vent and see if that helps.... where are you from?

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
Don't use starting fluid too many times on these Strokers or you'll end up breaking something. I work on diesels everyday and was tought the old school way and new school way. One of the things I was tought was to not use ether or starting fluid at all. What powerboatr said works everytime along with checking the oil in the hpop by removing the oil sending unit. I myself turn it on and off about 5 to 6 times but 3 to 4 is good enough. These fuel systems will purge their own selves in a short period of time. When we replaced injectors or had to do any extensive work with the fuel system we would get it started and drive it for about 20 miles at highway speeds. They will run like crap and smoke then it is like someone pushed a button and it runs smooth again.

dmd

Reaction score
You are lucky if you dont have a bent rod or didnt blow a head gasket. Big no-no with a diesel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14