Who's brewing?

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
sagebel said:
Who here is currently brewing or wants to start brewing their own fuel?

I need to learn REAL bad, got any good write up's or DIY instructions? Also how is Bio gonna treat the natural rubber o-rings in my '95?

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
You will need to replace any natural rubber parts in the fuel system. I am still trying to get others that I know that are very knowledgeable to come over here. I have a book that is self published with lots of info.

Scott

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well when I get off my rear I'm going to set up to run SVO in mine just have to build a couple fuel tanks for the truck and I'll be fueling up for free.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
The free thing is nice. I am going to run bio-diesel because my daily commute is only about 20 minutes. I am also trying to convince the other half to get rid of the Windstar and get an Excursion, older four door Bronco conversion, or something that can carry seven and is diesel. However, my processor can easily be used to filter WVO.

Scott

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was doing some numbers today with MudHog, he found a place that would sell him methanol for 2.72 a gallon, minimum 150 dollar order tho (about a 55 gal drum).

55 gals should yield 275 gals of bio-D, which works out to about 54 cents a gallon.

oops, forgot Lye. A pound of lye should make about 24 gallons of bio-d (plus or minus depending on titration). So you'd need about 10-11 pnds of lye to make the 275 gallons of bio-d out of your 55 gallon drum of methanol.

Should work out to about 70 cents a gallon to BREW your own.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
My methanol is going to be $219 for a 55 gallon drum delivered. I haven't found a bulk lye supplier near by but there is a soap supply store in Seattle(haha). So now I have to drive an entire HOUR to get some Lye.

Scott

wideopen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought this thread was a joke when I first read it... You guys a serious..

If you buy that much Methanol...what kind of Goverment regulation is there on it?? Surly Uncle Sam isn't gonna let you not pay some kinda Tax on it???

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Federally, you can brew up to 400 gals PER PERSON PER QUARTER without paying federal road taxes.

Each STATE however is different, some are following the federal view of bio-diesel, and some treat it as an additive (which is not taxed), still others want their money.

Even if your state wants the money, most of them dont have a system in place to collect! So even if you WANTED to pay, they wouldnt know where to send you.

One thing that has been suggested, is pay a quarterly tax on what you expect to use. Then, at the end of the year, file for a return of what you didnt use. Document everything. This way, if they ever try to nail you for running untaxed fuel, you can proudly show that you mail in a check every quarter, and that the state seams to have no problem cashing it! Burden is now on the state, and not you :D :D .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58