Who's smarter than me? with electrical???

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I have a 6000 watt Deere generator I use daily for work. It has issues starting a simple 1 hp stacked tank air compressor. On colder days I need to completely drain down the tank on the Air to get the compressor to kick over. After it starts once and gets warm, it's fine. The only manufacturer that seems to have a 110/220 setting switch is Honda. This feature allows ALL the starting power from the generator to be sent to a single 110 outlet. Normally the starting power is split between 2 - 110's.

I'm trying to avoid buying the Honda, cuz of the insane cost & lack of funds from business being down.

Would A compressor that can be wired for 110 or 220 correct my problem without replacing the generator? My thinking is if the Comp was pulling 1/2 load from each hot leg it should have the same effect as the switch on the Honda.

Anyone have a clue? Or at least more than I do??? :dunno

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
I had the same problem with a small air compressor running off an 8kw generator........a long, thin, cheep extension cord was my problem.

Try plugging the air compressor directly into the genset. If it operates properly go buy a heavy gauge extension cord.

Tbar

Scot

;()
Reaction score
Compressor and Generator are mounted next to each other in the trailer. It's always been plugged in direct - no cord.

Thanks

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Could it be that the unloader for the compressor pump isn't working right and it is trying to start up with pressure against the pump. Just a thought. My 1700 john deere inverter gen set starts my small compressor no problem.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
I have tried other compressors and get the same result. I'm thinking it's the split output problem because my previous Honda 3000 watt 110V only generator was successful just as often as the 6000 watt Deere. When I picked out the Deere I just assumed I was doubling my capacity.

Thanks

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let see if I have this right, you are powering a air compresser from a 6K gen. The gen. starts and runs fine when you go to start the air compresser the air compresser will not start unless the air is out of the tank. right? Sounds like you need more amps. 1st what size is the breakers on the gen? Most gens. have only 20amps breakers. Most air compresser need a 30amp breaker any smaller you will burn up the motor on the air compresser. 50 amp would be best. I have a 50amp that has a 4 pin twist lock plug and you can split if needed, I made a 4 way box that I use to power my miller 130 flux core welder and a 26 gallen air compresser. 2nd gen power head do go bad if you use it alot the head may need to be rebuilt. I get about 2 to 3 years (most of the time) before they give up. I have one I got from lowes and it runs great after 9 years. Still starts with one pull. I cant think of what brand it is but I paid 580 for it.
If you have a camping store by you, like camping world you can get a plug in meter that tells you if you have good power or not there about 10 bucks.
Look and see what amps the air compresser need to run on, also the plugs do get messed up and get loose may try changing the plugs out with new ones. ;tu

Also ckeck the RPMs of your gen. if it's running to slow your not a peek power.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that your genset is getting worn out and not loading correctly, you should have absoloutely no problem starting a 1hp motor on a single 110 outlet, a true 1hp motor will run about 16 amps.

Double check all connections and ensure that the contacts in your pressure switch are good.

See what the local shop will charge you to have your genset load tested.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
there's something freaked out on your generator..
you wouldn't think a 1hp motor shouldn't surge that hard..

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have to drain your tank to get it to start, your problem may be in the unloading, as previously posted. You need a check valve between the tank and the pump, and a means to bleed the air off this line between pump output and check valve. Then it will be starting no load, and will pull less amps.

Is it an oil-less compressor, or an oil bathed pump? I'm thinking oil less, but just wondering.

Scot

;()
Reaction score
It's oiled. I never had the problem with the simple consumer grade small motor compressors. But I was buying one every year due to daily use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14