Why Cummins conversion????

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
OK....I may be missing something, but if someone has the answer...please explain it to me.

Is it really that much better to go through the time, effort and money to swap a cummins engine into our SD's? I was just over at DESTROKED.com and their latest conversion was a guys '09 SD. Are the motors really that much better to spend $15 to $20k on a convertion when you could probably spend at max $10k and upgrade your Powerstroke?

I don't know...it just doesn't make sense to me. I am planning on spending around $5k next year on upgrades to my Powerstroke and transmission and I think it is going to be a great motor after I do that. I just can't fathum the idea that sticking a cummins in there is that much better.

I have been, am currently, and continue to be wrong on some things however......so it wouldn't surprise me if I was proven wrong on this subject also.......

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just from my personal perspective (and experience) ? Chrysler/Cummings builds one hellofa Diesel Engine-Tranny combo, but the Dodge is not an attractive looking pick-up, style wise, plus.. the body fit & trim, tend to degrade prematurely.

Ford/IH, on the other hand, builds a nice looking, well built line of Pick-up Trucks.. but has had enough issues with their Diesel Engine-tranny combo's... to reach the Consumer/Market.

SOoooo.. This has created a "want to" market, to marry a Cummings to a Ford. :)dunno)

Joe

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
the b series cummins had been around since tg was a little feller :sly

its a dependable engine no doubt, but put in a ugly wrapper that falls apart to fast.

but like joe said its mainly a "i want to do this" crowd that fuels the conversions

remember the little dity about the grass looking greener on the other side of the fence

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is neat ,, the last article I read kept the ford auto and ran a newer cummins ,, but swapping into an 09 would mandate a same or later year cummins for emissions reasons

spendy

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
like Robert said, the B-series Cummins has a long history.. with lift/injection pump fuel system, lack of glow plugs and a favorable response to go-faster mods, it becomes a go-to engine if the circumstances dictate...
not saying that I'd go out of the way to put one in my truck, but if my engine hatched tomorrow, a Cummins conversion is something I'd consider..

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to think long and hard before I would put a com-a-part in my truck. I think for about 1/3 of the money the 6.0 can be made into a great powerfull engine.

Doug

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Yeah, I am thinking for the money, I would rather just keep things as they are and upgrade. Its a neat conversion, but I don't like the idea of meshing electronics and such.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to think long and hard before I would put a com-a-part in my truck. I think for about 1/3 of the money the 6.0 can be made into a great powerfull engine.

Doug

Completely agree, Cold day in hell before a come-a-part replaces my 6.0 - Dodge automatics are a piece of garbage. All the guys i know with dodges have had tranny issues.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Dodge automatics are a piece of garbage. All the guys i know with dodges have had tranny issues.

Cummins doesn't have anything to do with that.

I was working for Chrysler when the Cummins replaced the Perkins in their diesel lt. duty pickups.. and that was a giant leap forward...

Fine69

Reaction score
The Cummins conversion has become a very common thing, but good luck getting a regular person to buy your truck when you decide to sell it. If you can find a Diesel Fan thats one thing, but your common person that just wants to buy a truck isn't gonna touch your hacked up abortion of a truck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58