Why do diesels 'clack'?

jonwright

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've poked about and couldn't find anything on the web this AM.

After trecking up a long hill and listening to the engine under load, my inital reaction was to freak out because over the year riding 2 stroke dirtbikes that clacking noise means your top end is about to go. But just as quickly I realized the engine is just doing it's job.

Now. Why does the diesel engine clacks like it does?

I know that compression is the source of ignition for diesels vs. spark and I think I know the basics of the engine but I'm curious as to what it is that I'm really hearing.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Alot of the noise you are hearing is the injectors working. When you have air introduction into the fuel system this noise gets louder.

The noise also increases at the end of an oil change cycle. The antifoaming properties break down and air bubbles are introduced into the high pressure side of the injectors.

Tbar

Last edited:

spindrift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition, atomized diesel fuel combusts very rapidly. A lot of the diesel "clatter" is the rapid-oxidation of fuel between the cast-iron heads and aluminum piston crowns. Shhweet sound, huh? :sweet :thumbs

DavidJ

DavidJ
Reaction score
As long as you don't get the "Clacking, Bang!, Ka-put" sound.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Tbar said:
Alot of the noise you are hearing is the injectors working. When you have air introduction into the fuel system this noise gets louder.

The noise also increases at the end of an oil change cycle. The antifoaming properties break down and air bubbles are introduced into the high pressure side of the injectors.

Tbar

nicely said
and the plain ol compression noise also helps to make distinct rattle
not to worry

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
jonwright said:
So I've poked about and couldn't find anything on the web this AM.

After trecking up a long hill and listening to the engine under load, my inital reaction was to freak out because over the year riding 2 stroke dirtbikes that clacking noise means your top end is about to go. But just as quickly I realized the engine is just doing it's job.

Now. Why does the diesel engine clacks like it does?

I know that compression is the source of ignition for diesels vs. spark and I think I know the basics of the engine but I'm curious as to what it is that I'm really hearing.
with a 7.3, you could be getting another noise known as cackle, too. THis noise is intermittent, sounds like someone is banging on the engine with a hammer. It is due to starvation of one of the injectors at the end of the "dead end" fuel rails in the 7.3 system. Particularly loud, obnoxious, intermittent clacking could be cackle.

What is more, the 7.3 is a particulary noisy diesel engine. It makes a lot of noises, and sounds different under every load condition, under every temperature condition, and sometimes, just because it feels like it.

But, the base of the matter is what the other guys said, high-pressure combustion noise and injector rattle pretty much sum up why diesels are so noisy/

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jonwright said:
Why does the diesel engine clacks like it does?
I couldn't resist this: At least a diesel "clacks" rather than "clicks" :) :)
At least they don't go "hmmmmm", although I'm sure the tree huggers wish they would.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58