Why No Codes????

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the days of everything in our trucks being controlled by computer, why in the HE double tooth picks is my truck running like it is, and throws absolutely no codes to let me know what the He double tooth picks is wrong????

Everything points to injectors, but why no codes? How in the heck do I tell which injector or injectors need replaced? It's pissing me off!

Starts hard when cold, by cold I just mean the engine, not the temp. Runs rough until temps warm up, (im assuming oil temp), bucks and jerks like crazy, sounds like a v8 with one or two spark plugs disconnected, ie. miss, black smoke on accell not like before, everything points to injectors, but which one(s)???

I know, back to the dealership, just cant figure out when I can be without it.

Any thoughts

b

sikodiesel

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
A simple fuel pressure test and power balance test will point out which fuel injector/injectors you need

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I like his idea.. do a contribution test and see where that leads you..

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What oil are you using? How old is it? When was your latest flash update (processors) from Ford?

Some folks have seen improvement w/ a product called Rev-X. I do not usually advocate an oil additive, but quite a few people say it helped.

fordfury

redneck punk
Reaction score
what sucks on a cylinder test is you cant do it tell it warms up unless you trick the sensor or computer out.

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
Barrett, give Rev-X a try, I used it and it helps a lot for sticking injectors. The other thing is getting PHP's updated FICM flash with inductive heating. I know my injectors are not perfect but it made my truck go from a no- go cold to almost perfect... it's worth a try. :sweet

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's electronic in most cases it will set a code.

If it's mechanical then there is no code to set untill it brakes. I'd look between the injectors and fuel pump. I thinking fuel pressure problem.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 1 bad injector no code and the dealer never caught it for the first year I owned my truck
then another injector went =No codes but the dealer replaced 2 injectors under warranty and it has never run better

I used to plug my truck in every night even when it was 70 degrees low
to avoid the morning stutters

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running my second batch of HSS and using Rotella Synthetic 5w 40 oil for winter (just changed about 25 days ago).

Seems to have helped some, it's kinda sporatic. Keep meaning to do the FICM check procedure, but the weekends keep getting away from me.

Some times it starts and runs smoother than others, but still have the "miss" and then stutter or buck after it drops into 5th gear, (hit the tow-haul to make it upshift a gear, and the stutter goes away). Just wierd. :dunno

BTW, who is PHP???

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Barrett

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58