Wicked Wheel = Boost?

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
A Couple of things:

1) What kind of damage happens to the turbo from overboost?

2) How much (if any) more boost can the turbo take with an upgraded compressor wheel?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
The Wicked Wheel is not a performance enhancement it is to eliminate surge and stall. There are guys running 30+ pounds of boost through a stock turbo but you are not going to see much if any increase with a wicked wheel. With big injectors and a hot chip you can increase your boost.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
Crumm said:
The Wicked Wheel is not a performance enhancement it is to eliminate surge and stall. There are guys running 30+ pounds of boost through a stock turbo but you are not going to see much if any increase with a wicked wheel. With big injectors and a hot chip you can increase your boost.

What I want to know is how much (if any) more boost can the stock turbo take if you upgrade the wheel. If my question doesn't make sense, it's probably because I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

How bout this: Is it possible for the stock turbo to be able to take on more boost by just upgrading the wheel. Or, Theoretically, Say I produce more than 30 pounds of boost on an regular basis. Will upgrading the wheel help protect the turbo at all.

Wheww! (Theoretically) Not sure I know what it means ,but I think I speeled it right. :doh:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
A wheel upgrade will not produce more boost. You need more air and fuel to produce more boost. The stock turbo can take more boost(by feeding it more fuel and air)but it will shorten the life. If you are wanting big numbers a complete turbo upgrade is the way to go. There are many guys running high boost numbers with a stock turbo but they do fail prematurely.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I'm not trying to produce more boost by upgrading the wheel.
What I want to know is : If I'm already producing more boost than the stock turbo is rated for, will upgrading the wheel help protect the turbo against the higher levels of boost?

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
No a wheel will not protect it... How much boost are you talking about? There are many aftermarket turbo's out there if you are planning on big power upgrades.

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
I'm going to be getting a chip. After a couple of quick conversations with jody, It was brought to my attention that the truck my be able to produce boost in the 30's after chipping it. So I was just wondering if there were any inexpensive ways to protect my stock turbo, because a new one is not an option right now.

BTW, I,ve seen this mentioned several times and would like an explaination if possible. What is turbo Surge and Flutter?

Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
I'm going to be getting a chip. After a couple of quick conversations with jody, It was brought to my attention that the truck my be able to produce boost in the 30's after chipping it. So I was just wondering if there were any inexpensive ways to protect my stock turbo, because a new one is not an option right now.

BTW, I,ve seen this mentioned several times and would like an explaination if possible. What is turbo Surge and Flutter?

Your wastegate is the item that is in place to protect your turbo - along with your foot.
You can think of surge as the point at which the compressor blades begin to “slip” in the air, losing their pumping ability, much like an aircraft wing loses its lift when it stalls. In a turbo, this happens in a series of bursts, as the blades slip, then bite, slip then bite. This sets up a pulsing wave in the turbo piping and explains why the sound has that characteristic “flutter”. Basically an imbalance of pressures between the turbine side and the compressor side of the turbo.

The wicked wheel will help with this - but will not do anything for overboost.

Ron

Ford_Forgotton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, heres the deal. The factory turbo uses a THRUST bearing. Garret says 25psi is the "redline" for our turbo. Ideally, its designed to operate around 15psi. Thats 10psi of fudge room.

The turbo wheel is pretty innefficient over 15psi and really all your doing is making lots of HOT air, instead of lots of COOL air under pressure.

Changing the wheel does not change the fact that the thrust bearing is only rated for 25psi of boost pressure. Regardless of the type of wheel, they are both pushing against the bearing with the same amount of pressure.

Hence the need to upgrade to a ballbearing turbo. It can handle the pressures better, and also, the wheel design and housing is designed for more air flow.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ForumBlue said:
A Couple of things:

1) What kind of damage happens to the turbo from overboost?

2) How much (if any) more boost can the turbo take with an upgraded compressor wheel?

A couple of answers:

Question 1: The turbin shaft eats the thrust bearing, all tolerences are gone, the wheel eats the compressor section.

Question 2: >About< 6 to 8 more pounds. An upgraded wheel is just more effecient. Thats all. It doesnt give you MORE boost, it gives you BETTER boost. Thats it.

Upgradeing the wheel won't protect yer stock turbo, bearing or houseing.

Re-mapping the fuel (More fuel) gives you more boost. But, as others have said: Garrett sez 25lbs is the max your turbo is designed to produce, or withstand.

Many have pumped theses things up, and are make'n 30+ lbs of boost. It's a chance and a choice. Yours to make.

I use the analogy...... of the time I got 275hp out of a 40hp VW..... for a little while..... then I swept IT and the Speedy Dry up and went home.

;) :D :)

JOE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg