Question wicked wheel install

massie

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
greetings!! Question about installing wicked wheel on a 99.5 without removal.. If you donot remove the exhaust side of the turbo how do you get the compressor wheel off the shaft?? your response is appreciated

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You would jam or wedge the Exducer with a screwdriver and back off the compressor wheel. There is a write up about it in the WIKI articles. I tried it and bent a fan blade on the Exducer:doh:.Lots of people have done it sucessfully though. So if you are going to try it be warned there are some issues. It wasn't a hole lot harder to take the turbo off the pedastle just remember to get new orings for the oil feed line.

http://http://superdutydiesel.com/wiki/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=30

Last edited:

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my wheel by sticking a screwdriver in the exhaust side without any issues. That was 10k miles ago.

JRJ04

Reaction score
so did you actually split the turbo in half like the wiki article says to do or did you just remove the dp and do it all from there?

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I bought a new Turbo afterwards. Should have it by the weekend. Any reason to Upgrade is a good one

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thats what you do. use cation though

My question is, how does putting a screwdriver (wrapped in electrical tape or whatever) in the vanes and then putting pressure on it when loosening the wheel, not bend one of the vanes and/or possibly bend the shaft of the turbo?

Is this the reason you were saying to use caution is it because the vanes are sharp? If so, how can you avoid screwing things up?

Doghead

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Wish I could help with that but I bent the vains on mine, that is why I say use caution. They are sharp also. My experience points to doing the off truck swap like most of the manufacturers sugest. I think that you try to wedge the screwdriver in as close to the hub as you can. I think that is where the most strength would be. Dont wedge it in between the vain and the housing.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14