Question wicked wheel install

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrapped a screwdriver with a rag and wrapped that with tape, stuck it in through the EBPV into the vanes in the wheel until I got it to hold. No issues that I know of.

JRJ04

Reaction score
so it looks like the problem then is if you go straight through the dp. where is the ebpv thats near the exhaust side of the turbo? correct me if im wrong, but it seemed like all you did was remove the dp and did not have to remove anything else....can you clarify?

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, jus removed the DP and stuck the screwdriver through the EBPV into the exhaust side. The EBPV is just the flap thats between the exhaust side of the turbo and the DP(best way I know to explain it). I did not take the turbo off the truck, just split the compressor side in half. I went by the instructions that are in the WIKI.

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
ahh...now i remember that ebpv. so did you just stay as close to the center of the wheel to avoid bending the shaft on the turbo? Something else I wondered...can you even get back there to see the actual wheel inside the turbo or did you just do it blind?

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would have to squeeze your head in back there but I think you could see into there a little bit. I just stuck the screwdriver in there until it held it from turning. Probably should have been a little more cautious.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh...now i remember that ebpv. so did you just stay as close to the center of the wheel to avoid bending the shaft on the turbo? Something else I wondered...can you even get back there to see the actual wheel inside the turbo or did you just do it blind?

The exhaust driven wheel, and shaft, are made of high temp, high strength Steel. you'd be hard pressed to do any damage to it by simply holding it in place, while applying only 10 inch pounds of torque (or snugging it) to the W/wheel.

My W/wheel has been on for 100,000 miles +.. using the method described in the DIY.

:dunno

PStroked444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have changed 4 of them out now. I guess make sure the screwdriver is deep in the vanes. I had a hard time getting the last one off cause the owner was boosting the turbo and snigged it up tight. I stuck two screwdrivers in there ( like chopsticks) and it came off. I had to wrap the stock impeller with a wrag it was sharp and tore up. sigh why do we need air filter??? JMHO:dunno

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW :dunno I've been using a hard fiber push stick (Sears woodworking tools).... like you would use for pushing wood thru a table saw ? works real good at holding the driven wheel/shaft.

King0581

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a better idea than the screwdriver Joe. If I ever have to do it again i'll look into something like that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14