wierd oil pressure issues with the stealth HPOP

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok i dont know if this is normal or not.no phone to call bean yet.

i have a mechanical guage sitting on my dash that is hooked to the oil cooler.and the one in the dash that has the sensor in the HPOP resevoir.well the issue is that while driving my factory guage drops.if im playing around that gauge will go down to almost nothing.but the mechanical gauge is fine.so i know the motor itself is getting the right pressure.

what i think is happening is the dual pumps are sucking the resevoir dry anbd my low pressure pump isnt keeping up with the high oil demand of the dual pumps.am i correct on this?or is this absolutely normal?:dunno

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Mine does this too. It has since the day I installed the Stealth with stock injectors. It's not normal according to Bean and he told me to run an auxillary supply hose from a port down by the oil filter into the inspection plug hole on top of the reservoir. Some Termy pumps have run into the same problem that I've read about.

My thought on it is along the same as yours except I don't think it's "draining" the reservoir. If it was draining it, the injectors would run out of oil and it would stumble and fall on it's face. Mine pulls strong with the factory gauge on "0". :eek

With the sender for the factory gauge at the top of the reservoir, if it drops any you show no oil pressure since it's an on off switch set at 7psi.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
my factory gauge seems to act like a gauge.before the stealth it would drop when the mechanical gauge dropped and go up with it.it runs fine so im not too worried about it.just kinda wondering why it does it and want to make sure it wont hurt anything.

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The oil pressure sensor, or "Switch", reads the pressure in the reservoir. Anything above 6psi will register normal. If you simply pull enough oil from the reservoir to equalize the incoming volume from the LPOP to the demand of the HPOP, then you effectively have 0psi, but you still have a full reservoir.

That is what your seeing. Running a new line will give you better readings, but it won't give you more oil. The HPOP is gravity fed and unless you literally drain the res, you still have the same amount of oil.

I have found that these issues are caused by worn LPOP gears or low oil sump capacity in many cases.

We were two quarts low on oil in our truck with the PULSE and it will drop the oil pressure sensor to 0psi at 3/4 throttle every time.

Bob

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
i just wanted to make sure i dont hurt anything now that i finally have the stealth on it and working correctly.since yall say this is normal i wont worry about it :sweet

DIESELSITE

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was just explaining how the sensor works, but I wouldn't go so far as saying it's normal.

It's a sign that something is noit quite right, but not terrible. You might have a weak LPOP or check your oil levels.

Bob

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
So what was the problem anyway?

i really dont know.i sent it back to have the updates done to it along with the new coupler.i put it on again and still had issues.apparantly my truck needs 2 IPRs.i put a second ipr in it and it works perfect :dunno :sweet

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
It's not normal for LPO to drop...I read that one guy replaced his LPOP and it didn't fix it, replaced his slightyly grooved front cover and his guage is steady.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58