wierd vibration

sincitygt

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey guys new to the site, havin a problem with my 03 6.0 4x4. i was on my way to vegas from arizona and after about a 2 hour drive i had this really loud vibration which felt like it was coming from right under my seat, i pulled to the side and stopped, tried again and it was gone. now it is intermittent comes and goes. took it to a driveline shop and they replaced the carrier bearing and checked the front hubs, but that didnt fix it. so i pulled the autohub out and drove it and it still happened. I cant figure this out, if it was a bearing or u joint it would do it all the time, but this vibration comes and goes. any help would be appreciated

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like sway bar bushing and end links need replacing. They are behind you front axle. The sway bar is attached to the axle and the ends are connected to the frame by links, Both have rubber bushings that wear out. i just replaced them on my '04 2 months ago.

BTW :SDD You'll gain alot on information on this website.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You said you replaced the carrier bearing and that it wasnt constant so that should knock out the u-joints. Dont know what to tell you except that is what was wrong with mine. Sort of like something was hitting the floor pan under my feet or seat. You could peel the rubber busing out of mine when i crawled under it and checked them.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
all the bushings looked good. any other ideas??

they MAY look good, but you need to take the weight off the front end and shake them around. you should see movement/slop (if bad) - i thought mine good at one point until it was up on the hoist at ford and they brought me out to show me.....oops! that was my factories bad - replace w/ energy suspensions ones, and i JUST replaced them AGAIN 2 weeks ago:doh::dunno

try re-checking:dunno

MKAVELISH

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Have You had the U-joints in the front axels checked.
I had one go bad and it produced a vibration that came and went,
and also stiff steering. Just a thought

ghoff

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
In 2WD and front hubs unlocked, the front axle shafts and drive shaft do not spin. So it's pretty unlikely it's a front driveline problem.

You might need to have the wheels balanced. Also, block the tires and put it in neutral. Get under the truck and wiggle the rear driveshaft at each u-joint. See if there is any play.

If you have a floor jack, jack up the front end an inch or two and stick a prybar under each wheel. Pull up on the bar and see if there is any wheel bearing or ball joint play.

How old are the shocks? If they are bad the wheels could be bouncing down the road.

Greg

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg