will a motor out of a school bus work

pawsranch3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i have access to a lower mileage 7.3 powerstroke motor out of a school bus. this motor is currently in a pickup truck with a bad transmission but the owner said that i can have it. will this work in my 2000 psd

Wingdog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it is a 7.3L powerstroke it will fit just fine. I don't imagine they made the bell housing mounts any different for a bus. He already has it in a truck so it should go back in one. :sweet

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
do the years matter? or as long as it is a 7.3 powerstroke will it work

the '99 - '01's are reputed to be the stronger engines... there is a known serial number split where they went to "powdered metal" rods instead of forged, and they are allegedely "blow up" prone..

pawsranch3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
but if this is a 94.5- 97 7.3 powerstroke will it work in my 2000, i am not too sure what year this schoolbus was

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man if youre gonna do this consider installing a new oil pan or at least
inspect the hell outta the existing one....theyre rust <thru> prone...
and the only way to replace 'em is to pull the engine.

pawsranch3

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
this motor is out of a schoolbus that is sitting over at my friends house the but has less than 100k miles on it and has been maintained by the local mech. here in town. i dont know the year until tomorrow but if it is a 94.5- 97 will it still work?

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
any year powerstroke will fit.just have to change certain parts.

comeing from a bus you will need to swap the oil pan,flywheel,trans adapter,exhaust manifolds/uppipes,possibly the oil cooler,HPOP reservoir,water pump unless you read the directions on converting your truck to run the IH pump with the coolant filter,bottom pully and all accessories and brackets.possibly the turbo or the compressor housing and intake Y pipe.and some sensors here and there as well as the passengers side valve cover.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14