will a stancor relay help my morning start?

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive read alot of posts about cold stat ups and im debating whether or not i should get a stancor relay.first off the coldest it gets here in fl is about 50.i changed my glow plugs awhile back and that helped big time,it always starts on the first crank now,but there is still an issue when i get in to start it,i flip the key,wts light comes and goes,i wait a little longer then i start it.it starts but right when it does it almost sounds like its choking on to much fuel and i get a lot of white smoke for about 15 seconds,morning temps around 65*.also after i get off work ,which is around 8-9 hours later,temps being around 80 or so,i still get a small amount of white smoke.could my problem be a weak gpr not sending enough volts to the gp's?ive heard smoke is and isnt normal from many people,i have a hard time believing back in 97,when these trucks were on the lot,when people would fire them up for a test drive they would cough up smoke,just dont sound right.:dunno

clem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A stancor would sure be an upgrade as far as GPR's and should cut out the smoke if your present GPR is bad.Your PSD should start at 40º with no help from the GP's unless you have compression issues.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
A new Stancor is no better than a new oem GPR but a old Stancor is better than a old OEM. The Stancor lasts much longer but when new one is not better than the other as far as the voltage the glow plugs will receive. If you have changed out all your plugs and know they are good the GPR would be a good thing to check next.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
well, in 97 people weren't as concerned with diesels being dirty, but I know what you mean. And mine starts at about 40* or so with no help from the GPs

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got to edit something,ive noticed that its not really white smoke,its blue.it spits out a small cloud every morning .also after work , its been sitting 8 hours,it will be a light blue color coming out,not alot,not enough to notice in in the mirror,but if you get out and look at the tail pipe you can see it,this is in 80* weather.so it must be burning oil right? so what would be leaking oil?i always thought it was a gp/gpr problem but it always starts at first crank,it just sounds like its choking and puffing out blue smoke.any ideas?
blue smoke scares me :eek:

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Blue or blue/white smoke:
Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods.
Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Caused by insufficient fuel or oil consumption. Normal when engine is cold or idling for extended periods.
Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings.

it says normal when engine is cold,but id be willing to bet yours doesnt smoke blue in the mornings crumm.

97powerstroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i keep my chip on performance all the time,would that alter the way it starts?could it be causing excessive smoke?ill have to experiment tommorrow morning,what did you mean by insufficient fuel consumption?to much fuel or not enough,i didnt think either cases would make blue smoke.if i had a problem with injectors wouldnt i have hard starts when warm and cold?this smoke is only after its been sitting for long periods of time.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
what did you mean by insufficient fuel?

:dunno I just quoted the smoke diagnosis from dieselmann's page.

Smoke analysis

White smoke:
Caused by unburned fuel passing through the engine. Some white smoke is normal on cold start-ups.
Excessive white smoke could be an indication of inoperative glow plugs, loose injectors, low compression from worn rings or bent connecting rods, or coolant leak into the cylinders--head gasket or injector well sleeves.
Black smoke:
Caused by excessive fuel for the amount of air drawn into the cylinders. Some black smoke on hard accel or at higher altitudes is normal.
Excessive black smoke could result from restricted intake or exhaust, inoperative leaking or weak turbo, intake hose(s) leaks, leaking or worn injectors, fuel return or supply restriction, stuck Exhaust backPressure Regulator valve or solenoid. Also PCM inputs such as BARO MAP ICP or EBP sensors.
Excessive smoke could be caused by air in the fuel, contaminated fuel, loose or plugged injectors, worn or leaking injector o-rings, thermostat stuck open, oil consumption, or plugged crankcase depression regulator valve. Also PCM inputs such as MAP or ICP sensors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14