Question Will Dana 44 knuckles work on a Dana 30?

Reaction score
I have V8 Ranger build waiting for me when I get home. I had planned on running a 66 through 77 Bronco set of running gear under it. I have a friend who has a few sets out behind his house. Here is the issue, he now tells me the front end he set aside for me is actually a D30 and not a 44 like he originally believed. Okay, that sucks but free is free. So, I want to know if I can take the drum brake knuckles off and swap in a set of D44 disc brake knuckles. I had planned on upgrading to a high steer set of knuckles anyway. Now I want to know if they will work on a D30 instead. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
im pretty sure jeep YJ's (square headlight wranglers) have 30's in the front, and they have disc brakes. im sure you could find a set of knuckles laying around for them. i dont think 44 knuckles will bolt to a 30 housing, but i never tried so........???

Reaction score
I have installed D30’s from Jeeps in a few Rangers. They are pretty cheap to get and the bolt pattern is the same. But there are several trade offs on using them or their knuckles. One of which is the fact that they do not have locking hubs. Because they have a vacuum actuated front end, they have no need for locking hubs. Changing all that stuff over gets too expensive.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
The axles and u-joints will last about one time off road with anything bigger than a 31 inch tire. Just get a 44 as there are more after market parts made for them.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
The axles and u-joints will last about one time off road with anything bigger than a 31 inch tire. Just get a 44 as there are more after market parts made for them.

a little finesse offroad goes a long way and saves you from breaking joints and twisting axles. we ran the dana 30 and rear 35 in my cousins 350 powered wrangler running 33" mudders, and the spider gears were the only thing to fail. he put lockers in it and never had any problems since.

Reaction score
I agree driving style has a lot to do with it. This truck is not going to get beat on. My wife will run it is a daily driver (until I get her Cummins conversion completed anyway) and it will see light to moderate trail use. Plus, I plan to go easy on the skinny pedal when off road. I do any, but especially on this build because I do not want it bashed up. If I go ahead with locker, I reduce the risk of breakage even more. I would like a D44, but with what they are going for, I think I would rather have my free front end.

Reaction score
Well this is one option.

Reid Racing, Inc - Powerglide transmission cases, Dana 44 & Dana 60 knuckles

I am certainly at an impasse now. My original plan was to drop the money and install high steer flat top knuckles on a D44. But as you can see the cost to do the same to a drum brake D30 simply is not worth it. By the time I buy all the stuff for the conversion I could have simply bought a disc brake D44 and bolt it in as is. (After going through the seals, bearing as so on of course.) So, unless I locate a Bronco D30 with disc brakes, I am going to rule out them out as an option. I do not mind spending the money on a gutted early Bronco D44 housing. But I cannot justify this kind of expense on a D30.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14