Will not start

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
It hasn't been to cold lately so I haven't plugged the engine warmer. This morning the truck wouldn't start. Turned over like the batteries were dead. I checked them V is 12.0 or better. Would could the problem be? Starter? 2001 4x4 superduty 145000 miles. F-250.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It hasn't been to cold lately so I haven't plugged the engine warmer. This morning the truck wouldn't start. Turned over like the batteries were dead. I checked them V is 12.0 or better. Would could the problem be? Starter? 2001 4x4 superduty 145000 miles. F-250.

I'd say the BATTERIES are tired, especially if they're the 7 year old originals. Should be at 12.6v cold.

Did you try Jump starting it ?? Good clean connections ?? Electrolite levels good ?? Load Test the Batts ??

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
was it making any smoke?

check fuse #30 in the dash
also fuses #9 & 29 under the hood

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
batteries are definate possibility, i bet thats the problem. also the batts could be ok, but the terminals need to be cleaned.
***voltage could read 13 and they could still be failed batts that only throw 300cca's, so be careful going off of the voltage.

my next thought would be the starter....check to see if there is smoke pouring out of the vent on the starter while someone cranks it over. also, if hooking it to a BIG charger, or a good jump start source doesnt make it spin faster, its probably the starter. sometimes they fail internally and they will smoke out of the vent, that makes diag easy. other times the bare naked copper terminals and wiring on the starter get corroded and cause resistance. sometimes you can clean the connections, other times you are sandbagged and have to shell out for a starter. DONT BUY A NAPA STARTER! just my 2 cents, but i went through 3 of them within a 2 year period. the starter in there now is 2 years old, still strong...BOSCH.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
the connections, other times you are sandbagged and have to shell out for a starter. DONT BUY A NAPA STARTER! just my 2 cents, but i went through 3 of them within a 2 year period. the starter in there now is 2 years old, still strong...BOSCH.

hate to tell ya... that's who makes NAPA's starters

National
Auto
Parts
All reboxed

or like the counter guy at the local NAPA I deal with, "Never Any Parts Available"

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score

I went back and re-read this now that the beer is worn off and coffee is kicking in...
I bet you have a couple marginal batteries, and it's doing a couple different things.
I tested mine last fall, and again in January, they passed both times..
while waiting for a wrecker to pick me up off the side of 131 a couple weeks ago (don't go there), they went dead.

well, anyway...
"cranks like the batteries are dead"
you're going to need at least 100 rpm or so (crankshaft) to make enough heat of compression to fire the engine. If the batteries aren't supplying enough to the starter, you're toast right there.

secondly, if you don't have enough voltage to keep the IDM & PCM powered up because the starter circuit is sucking it all up, it'll never run anyway.

So...
first thing you do, pull the cables & charge the batteries.
then, load test them.

if they pass, then you want to do a voltage drop test across
1. cable to post connections
2. cable to starter connection
3. starter to block

I think you'll have found the problem by then

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went back and re-read this now that the beer is worn off and coffee is kicking in...
I bet you have a couple marginal batteries, and it's doing a couple different things.
I tested mine last fall, and again in January, they passed both times..
while waiting for a wrecker to pick me up off the side of 131 a couple weeks ago (don't go there), they went dead.

well, anyway...
"cranks like the batteries are dead"
you're going to need at least 100 rpm or so (crankshaft) to make enough heat of compression to fire the engine. If the batteries aren't supplying enough to the starter, you're toast right there.

secondly, if you don't have enough voltage to keep the IDM & PCM powered up because the starter circuit is sucking it all up, it'll never run anyway.

So...
first thing you do, pull the cables & charge the batteries.
then, load test them.

if they pass, then you want to do a voltage drop test across
1. cable to post connections
2. cable to starter connection
3. starter to block

I think you'll have found the problem by then

What JLD sez ;tu;tu

97PowerSmokerIA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
same thing happened with my 97 but i changed the batteries and cables and put a new starter in and about 3 days later she went dead on the side of I 80 the lovely alternator had died and she ran on batteries for about 3 days pretty imppressive i think. but all in all batteries are a cheap investment and IMO id rather know my components are good instead of iffy.

Sportsnutim

Sportsnutim
Reaction score
Got it running thanks for the advice the other day my truck was dead. Had the batteries checked they are still ok. Fuel filter needed to be drained had some water in it: made it really hard to start. Thanks

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time drawing the correlation between water in the fuel bowl and slow cranking rpms...

but if you got it running, who cares?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14