Winter oil question;

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in MD, I've been running Rotella T (non-syn) 15W-40. Since this topic has been discussed before, would it really hurt anything to run it through Winter? We can get down to the teens, but it's most of the time in the 30s and upper 20s.

It's been in the 30s already, I haven't had any issues. The factory ford manual rates 15W-40 down to 20. Temps are in Fahrenheit. Any wear problems with using this oil in colder temps? I've plugged in during the colder nights so far, which we've had plenty of so far.

Reason being, I got 4 gallons of Rotella 15W-40, I wasn't too particular on buying some 5W-40 for just winter use. It's very odd in MD, some winters it may be real cold and then other winters it may warm.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
We can get down to the teens, but it's most of the time in the 30s and upper 20s.

I'm in the SF bay area and we see lows similar to you. I've been using Delo 15W40 year round for the last 150K miles and my Blackstone UOAs are excellent.

Reaction score
I live in western virginia probably not even 5 degrees difference in temps from where you are. My truck just turned 100k and has been running on rotella
15w-40 since it came off the line. Not a bit of problems. One morning last year got up to leave when we were hunting in the mountains. It was 3 degrees out and the truck fired right up and ran fine. Don't fix what aint broke!
Josh

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
nothing wrong with the Rotella 5W synthetic if you want it to spin over a little quicker in cold weather...

JimmyDee

God Bless America
Reaction score
Seeing an occasional teen temperature will not require anything other than 15w40 oil. We see a lot lower than that here in Michigan and I use Delvac 1 5w40 year around and love it.
Jim

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JimmyDee said:
Seeing an occasional teen temperature will not require anything other than 15w40 oil. We see a lot lower than that here in Michigan and I use Delvac 1 5w40 year around and love it.
Jim

It can get down into the single digits at times too, but it doesn't usually stay for very long. Right now it's dipping down into freezing temps, but just two days ago it was near 70. I know winter hasn't officially started yet according to the calender, but usually this time around here it's well into the 40s and dropping.

We even have a chance of snow flurries tonight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg