Winter oil weight

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thanks guys! So with the rotella 5 40, can I change it at greater than 5k or stick to changin it at 5k? It gets really really hot in the summer here in ks. We had high 90's and 100's for months here. 5 40 will be ok in those high temps?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! So with the rotella 5 40, can I change it at greater than 5k or stick to changin it at 5k? It gets really really hot in the summer here in ks. We had high 90's and 100's for months here. 5 40 will be ok in those high temps?

My take on it, and my opinion (just mine), Yes... and Yes.

Back in the day.. when my 2K was new, the OCI was every 3000 miles. That has crept up to 5, maybe even 6000 miles.. with the newer/better lubrication additives of todays oils, and the introduction of full synthetic, blended synthetic, and full Dino oils.

Yer call but I also factor in.. What I'v been doing, as far as working my 7.3.

Example: If I were to tow my 5th wheel from Cali to Florida (?), over the course of 2 months, I might change the oil & filter when I got there.. depending on the trip driving conditions.. that kinda thing. (TLC)

Joe

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You will need to get your oil sampled and tested. This is the lab I have used; http://www.blackstone-labs.com/ They will give you a sample kit for free. Send in a sample and they will test it and tell you if you are good to to the extra miles or not. I can not tell you if you can go longer than 5000 miles between changing the oil and filter.

Dave ;tu

KRISTOLSON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I change at 10K intervals. Like DaveBen alluded to, every truck/driver will be a different. I did a lot of oil sampling to back up my extended oil change interval, and I have a bypass filter installed. Since we are coming into cooler weather, I would put the 5w-40 in, run it to 7500 miles (standard service interval), and send a sample off when you change oil. That will give you a very good idea of how the oil is holding up at that point. Blackstone has good techs and will go a long way to help you interpret test results. Just my thoughts, use your own best judgement. Either way, you will love your truck on 5w-40 syn.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I really dont work my truck hard. I do haul with it. I dont race it around although I do have a hot tune on my chip now. I dont like tearing my stuff up. Longest road trip I do is to colorado. I coulr probably get by with doin oil changes at 7500. But rotella is cheap enough I am happy with doin 5000 miles. I might look into the extra oil filter system too. I like to keep my engine clean.

So switchin to 5 40 syn, will it quiet the motor down any? I was thinkin about that today, especially since its a lil cooler in the mornin and those injectors are noisier in the early mornins.

Is anyone on here burnin wasteoil in their trucks? I was thinkin of that too, especially for my road trips so I can save money on some fuel.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It quieted mine down. I am sure it will make the 7.3 a lot quieter in those cold mornings. I never ran it in my IDI 7.3 (old engine in the 7.3 series). Wish I had tried it.

Dave ;tu

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
It quieted mine down. I am sure it will make the 7.3 a lot quieter in those cold mornings. I never ran it in my IDI 7.3 (old engine in the 7.3 series). Wish I had tried it.

Dave ;tu

Thats good to know! My truck barely started this mornin. It was 31 when I left. Had to cycle it a bunch of times. I think my gp's or gp relay is gettin weak or somethin. I guess gp's are either working or not working? there is no "barely working" gp?? I think they have been in my truck for along time. I've never changed them. Im gonna have to run the tests on the gp system and see whats goin on.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
My 2 cents on switching back and forth between dino and syn. I had my truck into dealership to have work done and they changed oil after replacing the HPOP with fords dino oil. I went through two quarts of oil in less than 3k so I dumped it and went back to 5w-40 rotella syn and never used over 1 quart in 7500 miles since. It's had rotella in it since first change.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good to know! [My truck barely started this mornin.] It was 31 when I left. Had to cycle it a bunch of times. I think my gp's or gp relay is gettin weak or somethin. I guess gp's are either working or not working? there is no "barely working" gp?? I think they have been in my truck for along time. I've never changed them. Im gonna have to run the tests on the gp system and see whats goin on.

Might be time to start plugging it in for a couple of hours... before a Cold Morning start ?

Might try That.. before you throw GP's and a GPR ($) at it ? :dunno

Joe

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58