Winter starting tips

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm new to driving a diesel this year , so far it has been great. I live in Michigan & was wondering what to expect from my truck in the cold. Like starting tips ,using engine heater , fuel additives, ect. Also any maint. tips. thanks , Rick

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
make sure all your glowplugs are good.if you dont know the last time they were replaced,replace them with new BERu plugs from autozone at around 9.00 each.you can run a good anti gel fuel additive such as POWER SERVICE,STANADYNE or others to keep the fuel from gelling in the colder temps.the block heater does help some with cold starting.

but i dont do anything but replace my glowplugs once a year,some say thats excessive or unneeded but thats them.i dont run fuel additive cuz im too lazy to remember to dump some in or go buy some when i fill up.i usually keep both of my tanks full in the winter.only reason i plug the heater in is so that i have a little heat in the morning when i take off.but normally i dont plug it in either.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I run #1 fuel in the winter but also add Howe's treatment for some lube since the #1 is so dry and to remove any moisture. If you are running number 2 in freezing temps then some anti-gel additive is a must.

I run Synthetic oil.

I plug in at work when the temp drops to 20 or so(all winter) but park inside at home. I also have a oil pan heater to keep the oil warm.

I test the glow plugs every year but only change them when they are bad. I did change them all a couple of years ago just for peace of mind.

When the temp drops down to -20 or colder I wait to start about another 10 seconds after the light goes out. Even after the light goes out the plugs continue to heat. You can watch your volt guage and see when they shut off and it is usually a minute or so after the engine starts. Some guys will turn the key off and back on several times to cycle the plugs but cycling the key is unnecessary on the PSD, they stay on without cycling the key.

These are the only things I do for our -40 degree winters.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
action4478 said:
Rich, what pos do you set your chip to?

if you really want to know :D i run in one of my extreme settings.i get the best fuel mileage with this setting.i get 16.5MPG no matter how i drive it,highway,city or beating the snot out of it everyday.if i use my tow or economy setting i use fuel like crazy cuz the power just isnt there in those settings and im constantly on the throttle trying to get up to speed.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
action4478 said:
Thanks, How do you test the glow plugs?

pop the valve covers off and pull the connectors off of the plugs.you can use a test light or an OHM meter.i forget how many OHMs they should test out too.but attach a test light to the positive cable on the battery.now touch the tip of the plugs.if it lights the plugs are good if it dont light the plug is bad.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14