Wix fuel filter

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use this filter in their 99-03 truck?

I bought one the other day and I had a complex about it as soon as I pulled it out of the box. Instead of having JUST the filter, it also has the cap to screw it down. The gaskets are also different. It came with two gaskets...one is round and the other is square. The ONE gasket currently in my truck is bevelled (spelling:dunno) and its what I'm use to. The filter was almost $40 and I'm tempted to take it back.

I also read on another site that when Wix whent to the square gasket, it caused leaks in the 94-97 models.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
That's all I use on mine.
However, the 6.0L is another story. I took the advise of Powerstrokehelp.com and use only Motorcraft for those.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...so whats the two gaskets for. I'm guessing the large square gasket is the one to rpleace my bevelled gasket. But whats the smaller round gasket for?

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The big one goes on the lid and the smaller round one goes around the filter itself. If you look at it its got a groove where the smaller gasket goes, i cant remember but i think its on the bottom end of the filter. Didn't you get the directions in the box? Mine always has the directions but i never read em

TurboDsl8

SDD Member
Reaction score
Yep, the "New" style fuel filters are a little different with their own cap, keep your stock one on a shelf in the garage.The O ring is for the bottom of the filter element it goes in the groove at the bottom 1/2 inch to seal. the other one seals the new cap when you close it up! I would keep the Stock Cap for future just in case they have issues with the "New style" and decide to discontinue it and go back to the OE style... you still have it. Just in case.;tu

tom350

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what is the reason for having caps on the wix filter? the auto store i go to had a sale on wix filter i bought few of them

commanderjjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is the reason for having caps on the wix filter? the auto store i go to had a sale on wix filter i bought few of them
:dunno I don't know why they made 'em that way....makes absolutely no sense to me. It seems like an extra expense in the manufacturing process, but I've seen several other brands made the same way.

Like mentioned below, keep your stock cap for future use......if you ever go back to the standard filter, you'll need the cap.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58