Help Needed wondering if I'm on the right path

BluOvalPowerMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well I have recently been bitten by the Diesel Bug just like almost everyone here. I need a 2nd vehicle and I thought to myself just get the big ass truck you've always wanted. I'm in the market for a 99-06 F250 4x4 CC. I know the 7.3 is a good running engine and I have heard a lot of bad hype on the 6.0. But it also seems that 6.0 can be a great enginge as long as the owner takes good care of it. I have researched a lot of performance upgrades and it looks like 6.0 has quite a bit more options out there. I have a lot of ideas on what I want to do to build my own custom power stroke, but there I still need some education. Here is some of what I'm looking at: Banks BigHoss Power Pack, ATS fire rings, stage 2 tranny w/ flexplate and maybe a turbo upgrade, coolant, oil, tranny bypass filters, AIRDOG fuel system, brake rotor upgrade, 8 inch lift, 37inch tires on 17 inch rims, dual shocks and traction bars, and maybe an exhaust brake. Not sure on gears 4.88 or 5.13 maybe???? an E-locker up front and a posi out back. I'm thinking I'll do the filters, lift wheels/tires & brakes first, then the tranny and then on to the motor. I'm also wondering if I should/can switch the cooling system over to Evans NPG+. While doing this I will replace any worn parts i.e. wheel bearings, brake pads, hoses, belts, ball joints...etc. Hope I didn't bore anyone and I hope I am somewhat on the right path to a bad ass rig...

-Dan

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Dan.

As far as the engine goes, both are great motors. I am more partial to the &.3 cause that;s what i have and they are known to be primarily trouble free motors. The 7.3 4R100 tranny on the other hand is a weak point, but can be built to be bulletproof for a price.

If i were to get a 6.0, i would shoot for a 05 and above. One advantage of those year models is they have coil over suspension, so since you plan on lifting it, that may play a role in the tire size you can go with because the older ones have front leafs. The 5R100 is a great tranny too.

as far as upgrades go, i think they both have the same amount available. The 6.0 starts out of the hole with more power. Personally, i would stay away from Banks, edge, bully dog, superchip, hypertech and the like. You will be better of with custom tuning. All your other upgrades seem to be good ones, but i'm not sure about the ATS fire rings. I've heard horror stories about ATS.

When you are shopping for your truck, take your time. There are plenty of these trucks out there. Don't be afraid to buy a higher mileage one either. I bought mine with almost 200K on it and it still purrs like a kitten. Have it checked out by a mechanic and get a carfax. take it for a test drive and drive it like you stole it. I found my truck on craigslist and got a great deal. you'll spend more at a dealer, but i'm sure you already know this.

Good Luck with your search.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i were to get a 6.0, i would shoot for a 05 and above. One advantage of those year models is they have coil over suspension, so since you plan on lifting it, that may play a role in the tire size you can go with because the older ones have front leafs. The 5R100 is a great tranny too.

as far as upgrades go, i think they both have the same amount available. The 6.0 starts out of the hole with more power. Personally, i would stay away from Banks, edge, bully dog, superchip, hypertech and the like. You will be better of with custom tuning. All your other upgrades seem to be good ones, but i'm not sure about the ATS fire rings. I've heard horror stories about ATS.

QUOTE]

x2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58