Question won't boot up

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
started last night while I was trying to post one of my right-wing conspiracy diatribes.. :lmao

was two keystrokes from hitting post & "CLICK!" desktop machine shuts itself off.. :tounge

at first, it wouldn't go all the way through it's boot cycle, now it won't even power up..

guesses?

doubt virus, I just installed a new Norton a few days ago, and it was two hours updating before it would let me do anything else..

I'm thinking power supply

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Like trucks you have to tell some more about the pooter. Brand,model,years old,OS,any Mobo modifications and so on.

First thing that comes to mind is the PS or the Mobo/processor failed just like that:dizzy

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Norton has a terrible reputation!.....Try Kaspersky it is awesome!!! Your problem does sound like the power supply. By the way DO NOT TAKE your computer to BEST BUY to get it diagnosed or fixed (I have first hand knowledge).

Try tigerdirect.com for cheap parts just make sure that you are buying first quality and not refurbished. They sell a lot of new parts and some refurb'd closeouts. They are usually priced lower than most.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
started last night while I was trying to post one of my right-wing conspiracy diatribes.. :lmao

was two keystrokes from hitting post & "CLICK!" desktop machine shuts itself off.. :tounge

at first, it wouldn't go all the way through it's boot cycle, now it won't even power up..

guesses?

doubt virus, I just installed a new Norton a few days ago, and it was two hours updating before it would let me do anything else..

I'm thinking power supply

Gateway 310 desktop
XP Office
dunno nothing about no processors man
I did have to replace the hard drive a year or so ago..
lightning strike blasted the OE

tonight when I got home and started to fool with it,you had to hold the power button to get the hard drive to spin, and as soon as you let go, it powers back down..

I'm going to call Gateway after I get good n drunked up...

the power supply I had has an external fan and it won't fit in the tower..

bogus.

heck, nothing ever goes my way when you talk computers..

I'm probably gonna wind up with a big wamma-jamma with a blastin-ass sound card...

"Honey!!! Gateway told me this tower configuration is obsolete!!!"

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Honey!!! Gateway told me this tower configuration is obsolete!!!"[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the perfect excuse for a shiny new computer!:D

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Get a Mac. I have three Windows boxes that give me nothing but grief. I have a Mac that I keep on 24/7 and it has crashed ONCE in five years. Actually, I have eight Macs in the house, and all of them still work with nary a hiccup.

If you do need to use Windows, an Mac with an Intel processor will run Windows with VMWare or Parallels.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
For computer parts I go to Microcenter or online at Newegg.com as both have been good to me over the years.

The computer I'm using I built from scratch; case,PS,MOBO,processor(AMD) etc etc etc ;tu This replaced a 4 year old Dell desktop.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14