wont start hot

knownothing

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You guys are great. I'm glad I found you. This is my first diesel. I have a 1995 powerstroke 7.3. It has 184,000 miles. Starts cold great and runs good. But, it will not start when the engine is hot. It takes about 45 minutes to one hour to cool enough to start and even then it needs a real, real long crank. :dunno Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
when was the last oil change?could be injector O rings also.pull the fuel filter and see what colorthe fuel is.if its clear/yelowish its fine if its black/oily looking then you need injector orings.

Crossthreaded Nut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Both of the suggestions above are good and both need to be done based upon the mileage of your truck.

What is happening is that the high pressure oil pump cannot build enough pressure to fire the injectors until the oil cools down enough to lower the viscosity. As the oil heats up, it gets thinner and if you have any questionable o-rings on the IPR or injectors, it squeezes by and won't allow enough pressure to build. The injectors need 500 psi to fire.

I like to make one fix or mod at a time so that I can analyze how it affected the performance of my truck. If you do two or three things on a Saturday, you probably won't be able to determine which had the most effect, or maybe had none at all. That being said, I would replace IPR o-rings first as it is the simplest of the two operations and will probably allow your truck to start when hot.

The link above concerning IPR o-ring replacement is excellent, and I used it when I did mine a few weeks ago. The link suggests to weld a piece of bar stock to the end of the large socket and I found that to be cumbersome. I took an extra 3/8" drive, standard depth socket and welded to the back of the large deep socket so that I could use a ratchet and extension on it. This worked well.

Also, I couldn't figure out how to get the IPR out without removing the fuel filter canister and fuel regulator. You can read up on this site about how to do that. It's a good opportunity to replace the rubber fuel hoses and clean out the fuel canister.

If you have all the tools, hose, hose clamps and o-rings, it will take you about 6 hours to do the work the first time. It will only take 2 hours if you ever have to do it again.

Good Luck,

James

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
6 hours/2 hours to replace IPR O rings?:eek: :eek: when i had the fuel filter i could get the IPR out in 15 minutes.i just used a wrench on the IPR instead of a welded socket.

Crossthreaded Nut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
You are the man if you can take the fuel filter housing out, clean it, R&R the IPR, reinstall the fuel filter housing with new fuel lines, prime and start the engine in 15 minutes. My hat's off to you.

James

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Crossthreaded Nut said:
You are the man if you can take the fuel filter housing out, clean it, R&R the IPR, reinstall the fuel filter housing with new fuel lines, prime and start the engine in 15 minutes. My hat's off to you.

James

Rich (94f450sd) is da man as is JOAT (Don). :sweet

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
no priming needed fill the filter bowl with stanadyne or powerservice and fire it up.i can replace a tranny in a 4WD chevy in an hour and a half.i can do headgaskets on ford 3.8 V6s in 5 hours,caravan tranny in 2 1/2 hours.ive been a mechanic since i was 8 years old and am now 27 :D

Crossthreaded Nut

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
That's awesome Rich.

I'm not a professional mechanic, just a doctor and I work on my ranch truck because I enjoy it. I was trying to give the original poster an idea of the amount of time it takes to do the work. I should have qualified it by including the fact that I am not a professional mechanic.

I have a special talent as well. I do botox injections for wealthy society women at the rate of 4 an hour and I get paid $425 a pop.

Thanks,

knownothing

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
rebuild kit

Thanks for all the replies. Does anyone know where I can purchase the rebuild kit for the pressure regulator. I live in the virgin islands and the local ford dealer has never heard of it. They are telling me I need to buy the whole IPR. Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58