Won't start

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad has a 96 F350 that ran fine yesterday got to the job site the guys shut it off and now the truck won't start. Put gas on a rag and put it over the intake and the truck started and ran for a few seconds and then died. He said the fuel bowl is full, and it has a new fuel filter. Any help would be really helpful.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll let him know in the morning. First time in a year this truck has given him problems. It's a work truck but runs strong has I think 250,000 miles on it.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a freebie check that only takes a couple minutes to rule out this possible problem. Pull the plug out of the top of the HPOP resevoir and check the oil. Level should be within 1 to 1-1/2" from the top. Won't start if it's empty.

The lube pump feeds the resevoir and ride on the aluminum front cover. It's common on high milage engines for the pump gearotor or front cover to be worn enough so they don't take a prime fast enough and stall within seconds of firing and won't restart even with a lot of cranking. Learned this the hard way last January when I had to pull the engine to replace the front cover and oil pump on my '00 when it had 325k miles on it.

Also the early 7.3 PSD had a check valve in the bottom of the resevoir that would go bad and let the oil drain back into the crankcase. This was changed to a standpipe a few years after they came out but can't remember exactly when anymore but IIRC His being a '96 is close to when it was changed.

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a freebie check that only takes a couple minutes to rule out this possible problem. Pull the plug out of the top of the HPOP resevoir and check the oil. Level should be within 1 to 1-1/2" from the top. Won't start if it's empty.

The lube pump feeds the resevoir and ride on the aluminum front cover. It's common on high milage engines for the pump gearotor or front cover to be worn enough so they don't take a prime fast enough and stall within seconds of firing and won't restart even with a lot of cranking. Learned this the hard way last January when I had to pull the engine to replace the front cover and oil pump on my '00 when it had 325k miles on it.

Also the early 7.3 PSD had a check valve in the bottom of the resevoir that would go bad and let the oil drain back into the crankcase. This was changed to a standpipe a few years after they came out but can't remember exactly when anymore but IIRC His being a '96 is close to when it was changed.

WOW thanks that was alot of help. I'll have to explain this one to him on the road tomorrow.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW thanks that was alot of help. I'll have to explain this one to him on the road tomorrow.

You're welcome, You can use a screwdriver to check the level. The resevoir is only about 6" deep and there is a screen in there somewhere so don't force it when it hits bottom.

Don't start the engine and forget to put the plug back in either. It'll look an old Hollywood movie oil well blowout on a small scale...... Don't ask me how I know:doh: .... :booboo

I'll just say the truck was still dripping synthetic Rotella out of every nook and cranny a year later when I traded it a couple months ago for my '06 after several washes... Ain't nothing rusting the underside of that truck for many years to come:lmao

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Check fuses under hood. Esp. #22
Yep, sounds suspiciously like a shorted fuel heater. If #22 is blown try to unplug the fuel heater wire, located about half ways up the drivers side of the fuel filter cannister. After unhooked, put a new fuse in slot #22 and see what happens.

action4478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad has a 96 F350 that ran fine yesterday got to the job site the guys shut it off and now the truck won't start. Put gas on a rag and put it over the intake and the truck started and ran for a few seconds and then died. He said the fuel bowl is full, and it has a new fuel filter. Any help would be really helpful.

Another freebe , unhook the ICP connector & try to start it ,,, PCM defaults to 724 ICP pressure , may help start...

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are going to me in the morning and test all of these. Thanks for all the help. Hope to get it running again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58