working on the 6.4

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I love doing my own general maintenance, and from what I can tell doing all of the required items looks to be a breeze.

Beyond that, it seems like a nightmare to work on this engine. When I opened the hood I was amazed at how little engine I could see, everything seems packed in there. Almost seems like doing any work on the engine itself would require taking gobs of stuff off first.

At least maintenance is easy :)

Anyone do any serious engine work on theirs?

David

yukondiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "serious engine work". Most things beyond the simplest maintenance are " cab off" projects as I understand it.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I don't own one [yet] but from what I've seen under the hood there ain't much room to work. Its really packed in there.

kenholl

Its my side of the garage
Reaction score
Hi,
....Almost seems like doing any work on the engine itself would require taking gobs of stuff off first. Anyone do any serious engine work on theirs?

dsonyay,
You will probably get more direct feedback in the "6.4 Engine and Drivetrain forum" Those guys are all 6.4. This forum is a mixed bag of engines, and the topics are more "General"...

~Ken

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem- I thought about the 6.4 forum, but I kinda wondered if it may be like that for just the 6.4, or were the other diesels the same way.

When you guys say "cab off" do you mean there are times where the cab is actually yanked off?
Wow!

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you guys say "cab off" do you mean there are times where the cab is actually yanked off?
Wow!

That's what I understand from reading other posts about the 6.4 engine. It supposed to be a pretty easy process for the dealer to handle. As a sidenote, I think that's why the 6.4 isn't available in the E-series.

SiFlyBy

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
like this:

011.jpg

012.jpg

This is a 6.0L but the procedure is similar.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14