Worst Road Trip Ever

Vinni

I didn't do it
Reaction score
I took off after work from Del Rio last Wednesday for T-day in Houston at about 1600hrs. I went the back way through Rocksprings/Mountain Home to I-10 as apposed to through Hwy 90 to I-10 (seems to be a faster route to me).

Anyway, the girlfriend claimed she could hear something ticking from the front end of the X almost the entire way; however, i could not hear it. Once we got into San Antonio while travelling next to the barrier wall on I-10, I could then hear the ticking she was talking about comming from the front. Once i got through San Antonio-almost to Sequin (spelling) i found myself fighting my steering slightly. I pulled off the road to investigate and could see nothing that appeared out of whack. i got back on the road and all of the sudden had a grinding sound comming from the front and the brakes were throbbing along with the ABS light comming on. Upon investigation, i discovered the driver's side brake rotor rubbing on the brake calliper brace - NOT GOOD.

I managed to linp the truck into a gas station with good lighting and called a friend in Shertzville (Geff) and another friend that owns Maximum Altitude (Joey). Joey fadvised me that i had thrown a bearing in the hub assembly and would be a 5-6 job with hand tools. He also gave me the cell number of his mechanic - a Ford tech from a San Antonio dealership. Geff hopped on the road and picked up a hub in Universal City ($204) and made his way to me with a floor jack, jackstands, breaker bar, ad few other special tools he thought we may need for the job.

Once Geff arrived - we proceeded to pull off the wheel, caliper, rotor and locking assembly. The hub is mounted to the spindle by 4 studs/nuts (accessible from inside) and the hub pulled off the axle faily easily. Once removed, we discovered the biggest problem - the new hub did NOT come with a new set of mounting studs - we had to extract the OEM studs with a breakerbar and vise grips - took about 1.5 hours to extract all 4 - 1/3 turn at a time. Once we put the truck back together (almost 0100hrs now) all seemed great and i hit the road to complete the drive to H-town.

About an hour went by at 80mph and truck began to vibrate vigorously while climbing in order to maintain speed - i knew this one - cloged fuel filter in the bowl due to veggie blend diesel. No problem, keep a filter in the truck. i pulled off the road, popped the hood, and the filter bowl lid would NOT budge. Apparently, some of the veggie blend had got under the lid last time i changed the filter and set up to a glue of sorts virtually fusing the lid to the bowl. I worked a knife all the way around the bowl and eventually got it to budge after an hour or so of sitting on my batteries. I changed out the filter - put the lid back on - closed the hood and started the truck again. I was running rough; however. i figured it was due to some trash in the fuel lines and it would work out of the system. Took off down the road at about 50mph (now 0400hrs - on the road for 12hrs for a 6hr drive). The truck died...

Due to frustration now, i called USAA Roadside Assistance for a tow into Sealy, TX and my dad for a ride in Houston. Once the tow truck appeared on site, with his lights i noticed a HUGE puddle under truck. I popped the hood again and noticed the entire motor was covered in fuel - obviously did not have a good seal on the lid fo the filter bowl. I loosened the lid and tightened it back down - turned on the key - sprayed out the side. I took the lid off, examined the lid seal for cracks and/or trash - re-assembled - key on - same thing. Loaded the ruck on the flat bed transporter and rode into Houston with pops.

Friday i went back out to Sealy, TX to either fix the X or get it to a mechanic. On the way i stopped at O'Riellys and picked up ahouse brand filter (came with a new lid and seals for $30). Got to the truck and drained the fuel bowl - took off the lid - removed the new filter and disovered the old o-ring fromt he bad filter was int he bottom of the bowl - this explaines why the lid would not seal down. I cleaned out the bowl with carb cleaner and drained with pump diesel. Placed in the new filter, seals and lid. Turned on the key - no leak. Started the truck with a tad of Either (not advised). It ran rough for a few minutes to work out the trash and then began to run fine. Took it immediately to the Chevron and put in .5qt of Tranny fluid and 20gal diesel int he tank and made my way to the house.

All in all, i was on the road for almost 14hrs in effort to get home for Turkey Day and performed some major mechanical work in gas station parking lot (1st time). Moral of the story - a hub assembly can be changed out in about 1.5hrs IF you purchace a new set of studs with the new hub. Additionally, eventhough it had never happened before, ensure the o-ring from the old fuel filter is not in the bottom of the bowl before you put int he new one. This will ensure the filter is able to seat down properly in orer to allow the lid to seal down appropriately.

Felt i needed to share...

Reaction score
Vinny,

My congratulations to you for keeping your cool!:GRD
You finally get a chance to get out of Hel-Rio (lived there for 2 years as a high schooler) and it's like it wouldn't let you go without a fight!! What a whippin'!!:eek:

P.S. Nice ride!:sweet

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one for the books. Glad you got it all resolved, and kept cool.

Did you have to wash your mouth out with a few bars of soap after your ordeal?

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
When I was going from VA to Fl, to TX to WA back to FL then to VA, to Ok and back to VA, I went though 2 tires (one I went on for 200 miles before I realized it, patched them) 2 alternators, and 2 vacuum pumps.. This all in 6 months and 20,000 miles.. The first alternator went out in the middle of nowhere and I ran on the batteries for about a day, swapped it out, a month later, I was getting a battery light, had it checked out, somewhere, it was cranking out over 200 amps or watts (cant remember).. Vaccum pump went out (replaced when bought) and within 6 months the other went out (bearings) from each other..

Sorry if Im not making sence, Im sippn

Vinni

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Lord Tauk said:
That's one for the books. Glad you got it all resolved, and kept cool.

Did you have to wash your mouth out with a few bars of soap after your ordeal?

In actuality, i should have prolly used Liquid Lava soap; however, i did keep my cool knowing i could get er fixed once i had a clear head. Unfortunately though, i was not willing to leave it on the highway through the holiday...

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Bet me.

475 road trip to pick up a piece of equipment...

five miles from home on the return trip...

Last edited:

pdt1081

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLDickmon said:
475 road trip to pick up a piece of equipment...

five miles from home on the return trip...

Something similar happened to us this past summer. 95 Chevy crew cab dually towing a 30' enclosed trailer with two mini rod pulling tractors inside. On 127 north of Hudson, Michigan the outside wheel bearing on the rear driver's side seized. The hub and dual assembly walked right off the end of the axle housing. The axle shaft broke off after the duals had cleared the fender. Duals crossed oncoming traffic and followed the berm all the way to the intersection and turned the corner finally hitting a stop sign and falling over. The truck and trailer came to a stop a few yards from the same intersection. We slid a total of almost a quarter mile on the backing plate for the brakes. There was no other damage to the truck or trailer than the axle. And the best part was nobody got hurt.

dpantazis

Reaction score
oh man! i just read this on the eve of my 10 day driving vacation to seek out ditch chickens. between this and ranger boys accidnet, you guys are giving me the hebbie jeebies! i just finished packing up spares like cps, oil, atf, filters, belt (thanks crumm) and came to print out the cps destructions.

i am going out RIGHT now to burn incense and sprinkle holy water on the truck- heck, i will pour some in the coolant too. i may string up some garlic on the grill too.

dennis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg