Would like an anatomy lesson

XOC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
of my engine I mean (unless anyone here is a female ;)) ANNyyyway, I am getting ready to see about installing guages - the typical egt, boost and tranny temp trio. I found the excellent page at thedieseltop.com and it answers most of my questions, but being new to trucks, new to Fords, new to diesels, and not having a manual yet, I need some help identifying where the engine parts in the pictures on that page are exactly.

On the EGT sender picture, is that pic taken from above, or underneath, or ... how exactly. Same on the tranny pic -- where is the approach on that?

On the boost sender location, there is some discussion of things being different depending on whether or not you did the MAP mod. What is this MAP mod, and if it's something I might want to do in the future, should I not tap into the MAP line, and use the intake instead?

bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
egt/pyrometer you will want to put in the up pipe pre trubo drivers side from the underside of the truck

tranny temp sender (mine was on the drivers side on my 96) the approach is on the bottom

boost i didn't hook it up because i planned on moddin my truck more

hope this helps alittle

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
you can put the EGT probe anywhere you want,preferably in the manifold.i did mine while the engine was out so i have it going in the side of the manifold pointing into the rear exhaust port on the drivers side.i get the EGT reading as it comes out of the cylinder before it gets a chance to cool down.

the trannytemp probe goes on the drivers side of the tranny.on the side of the case near the pan bolts you will see a little pipe plug.remove that plug and screw the probe into that port.its in front of the shift linkages.

just tap into the line from the intake to the MAP sensor.there is no MAP mod for our trucks.our trucks do not defuel under high boost levels like the super duties do.

XOC

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
My truck says "Super Duty" on the side of it. When you guys say super duty, do you mean the newer ones only, or am I in the wrong sub-forum?

I think I got it on the tranny. On the EGT - from the underside of the truck - that's probably all I should need to locate the right section comparing to the photo in the how-to.

Verdict still out on the boost/Map thing, until I know for sure you guys are talking about the same engine I am. 97 7.3l td "super duty".

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
Would like an anatomy lesson of my engine I mean (unless anyone here is a female ;))

My engine is female. Her name is Ol' Bessie.

Super Duty does have two meanings. Most common is the generic name for the re-designed '99 and newer pickups. Yes, some '97s said super duty on a fender emblem. IIRC flat beds, cab/chassis and some tow trucks had the emblem.

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
My engine is female. Her name is Ol' Bessie.

Super Duty does have two meanings. Most common is the generic name for the re-designed '99 and newer pickups. Yes, some '97s said super duty on a fender emblem. IIRC flat beds, cab/chassis and some tow trucks had the emblem.

I was under the impression that SD in our model years was the designation for 450's and up. His is probably like mine and says HEAVY DUTY being a 97, as the light duties in our year were the new body style, so the noted it like that.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
I was under the impression that SD in our model years was the designation for 450's and up. His is probably like mine and says HEAVY DUTY being a 97, as the light duties in our year were the new body style, so the noted it like that.

You may be right. I saw a '97 SUPER DUTY this afternoon and the fender badge said SUPER DUTY but no F-350 or F-450 anywhere. :confused:

I still find calling the '97 F-250 HEAVY DUTY kind of amusing because the '97 F-350s are not??? :D

dpantazis

Reaction score
most of the vendors pictures are horrible. i could not figure it out either. here is a pic that i took when i did my install. click to make bigger. it shows the surrounding real estate....

dp

johndeerebones

GOT PMS?
Reaction score
You may be right. I saw a '97 SUPER DUTY this afternoon and the fender badge said SUPER DUTY but no F-350 or F-450 anywhere. :confused:

I still find calling the '97 F-250 HEAVY DUTY kind of amusing because the '97 F-350s are not??? :D

Never thought of it but ya you're right ha ha.

I usually just tell the kid at the parts counter 96 cause most of em don't even realize the difference. When you get ball joints or any front end parts and they say is the gvwr x or y. You say NIETHER, its double that they just get a dumb look on their face..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58