Wrecked my injectors/HPOP...

nswsparky

All my stuff
Reaction score
When the seals on my HPOP went out and it started puking oil I limped it 700 miles multiple times It ran more than a gallon low on oil. It did not give it any idling problems. But when I got to where I was going I had a local mechanic put in a new pump and did not tighten the plug on the top of the HPOP resivior which would leak out the oil pressure and would make it take longer to start to build up that oil pressure to run the injectors.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I'm with T-Bar on this one.. I bet is sucked a slug of air in the high-pressure system, in which case the cure is to drive it like you stole it.

And I'm betting the "bank of injectors" that's out is a faulty UVC harness on the affected bank.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lota good points being made here. You might not even have an injector/HPOP problem SMOKENZ. A good Scan might still be in order though, just in-case ?

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cps

SMOKNZ

Have you ever changed out the CPS? If you had good oil pressure (either OEM gauge or aftermarket) the HPOP didnt get starved, I'm thinking.

The stalling/loping symptom makes me think of that pesky crank pos sensor....

A scan is a great idea...even if no SES/CEL is on.

Good luck

Mike

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never changed the CPS. Got the truck home today, dealer was saying it was missing on cylinders 4 and 8, I am assuming this is the contribution test they were talking about. Seems to run ok, I will drive it like I stole it and see what happens, at least I'm close to home.

Can anyone point me in the direction of an aftermarket High Press Oil gauge?

Unfortunately now I have done both of the "never do" on a diesel. I ran a pre pump filter that clogged and ran out of fuel pressure. I locked up a couple injectors but they eventually free'ed up. Now I ran low on oil. Fix last time was also to drive it like I stole it. It's probably time for new HPOP and injectors...

Bill

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with T-Bar on this one.. I bet is sucked a slug of air in the high-pressure system, in which case the cure is to drive it like you stole it.

And I'm betting the "bank of injectors" that's out is a faulty UVC harness on the affected bank.

Where can I purchase the upgraded UVC harness?

SMOKNZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The (separate) low pressure oil pump supplies oil for engine lubrication. The HPOP increases the low(er) pressure to "Pop" the injectors. If the HPOP lost part/most of it's prime, due to being 4 qts low on oil.. THAT, could be the cause of your issues.

I'm thinking the Tech re-primed the HPOP reservoir.. purging the air.. making it possible for you get it home.. for further troubleshooting.

If the HPOP is the Original pump.. with 335K on it, and only 100K on the Injectors.. you may just need to R&R the HPOP.. or at the very least (first).. run a Scan, and see if you get any Injector~HPOP pressure related codes.

Joe

It requires 500 HPOP psi minimum.. to pop the Injectors.. to start it.. and maintain an idle.

How is the HPOP reprimed?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the HPOP reprimed?

Looking at the HPOP.. on the Top Right.. is an Allen Plug. Remove the plug. Looking down inside.. you should see oil.. about a Half an Inch below the plug threads.. if Not.. fill that reservoir to the half inch below the threads.

You can't fill it to the top.. the oil will just flow back into the CC, internally, in the reservoir.

Joe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58