WVO conversion on a 97 or 03 7.3??? Need Help!!

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the deal...I currently have a 2003 7.3 F250 FX4 with 60k miles. I bought it about 3 months ago. 4 inch suspension lift with 35 x 13s. So my fuel mileage obviously is not the best. I will hopefully getting a full time job soon. So my comute will be going up drastically, close to 30 miles one way.

So this is what I was thinking....either convert my 2003 to a WVO conversion and drive it Or say up cash buy a 94-98 F250 power stroke for around 3 to 5 grand. Do a lil work to it and put a WVO conversion on it. Then have that as my daily driver, park my 03 and drive it on the weekends and continue to mod the 03 and make upgrades on it.
So what do you guys think?

Obviously it would be cheaper to convert my truck, I just don't want to take a chance and ruin my motor or mess up a great truck, not that it would...just stating a comment. I am a firm believer in having multiple vehicles if its affordable...You don't put a lot of miles on one car..and if ones goes down you always have a back up.

I have a great WVO source. Just trying to get some feedback and see what everyone else thinks.
Thanks in advance.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
There are advantages of using an OBS ('94-'97) over a Super Duty. The OBS already has two tanks, a pollock switch and dash tank switch. If you can get an F-250 for as cheap as you say, do it. The down side of using an OBS truck is the longer purge time over the Super Duty. Our fuel bowl hold about 12 ozs of fuel. A gallon is 128 ozs. So theoretically the system will be purged in about 1/10 of 18 mpg or in about 1.8 miles. I can live with that. On the other hand, many have converted their Super Duty trucks and are problem free.

Last edited:

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
There are advantages of using an OBS ('94-'97) over a Super Duty. The OBS already has two tanks, a pollock switch and dash tank switch. If you can get an F-250 for as cheap as you say, do it. The down side of using an OBS truck is the longer purge time over the Super Duty. Our fuel bowl hold about 12 ozs of fuel. A gallon is 128 ozs. So theoretically the system will be purged in about 1/10 of 18 mpgs or in about 1.8 miles. I can live with that. On the other hand, many have converted their Super Duty trucks and are problem free.

Thanks for the Great Info!!! I was not aware of that.

If I find a truck that has 150 to 200k miles on it OBD that is....
would I be ok to run it as it is...replacing hoses and reg maintenance??
Or with the hi mileage and unknown history buying a vehicle that old...would it be wise to have the motor rebuilt or just run it till it drops???
If I decide to travel with and being able to go a long range on veggie oil...I just want to make sure the truck will be reliable.

THanks again for the help!

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
My truck (see sig) currently has over 370,000 miles and I would drive it across country in a heartbeat.

For long trips, WVO is great. For a 30 mile commute, you'll probably be doing maybe 15-20 max on WVO (subtract warm up and purge time). You may want to consider starting out building an appleseed processor and make bio-diesel to begin with. Cheapest way to get started, and you could use that in both trucks, and do the long trip WVO conversion later at your convenience.

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JOAT said:
My truck (see sig) currently has over 370,000 miles and I would drive it across country in a heartbeat.

For long trips, WVO is great. For a 30 mile commute, you'll probably be doing maybe 15-20 max on WVO (subtract warm up and purge time). You may want to consider starting out building an appleseed processor and make bio-diesel to begin with. Cheapest way to get started, and you could use that in both trucks, and do the long trip WVO conversion later at your convenience.

Good point on getting the WVO hot enough. I was thinking about putting a remote start on the truck and start in the morning ten minutes or so before I leave....and let it heat for a while.

On the biodiesel side, I went to a class and watched them make it. I don't really want to do that or spend the time doing it. That was my first thought was to do the biodiesel, but after watching the process...not so sure I want to. I am just glad I spent the time and money to watch the process before I spent all the effort in constructing a converter or paying the money for one.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey craackker, just some more options. I am running WVO in my 01 PSD 7.3L. With the bio fuel that I make I didn't have to put a conversion kit on my truck. I also make my own bio diesel in my garage. I can switch from reg #2 diesel to Willie bio-diesel to my home made bio-diesel. Just some more options since you live in Houston. Good luck

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
platinum01 said:
Hey craackker, just some more options. I am running WVO in my 01 PSD 7.3L. With the bio fuel that I make I didn't have to put a conversion kit on my truck. I also make my own bio diesel in my garage. I can switch from reg #2 diesel to Willie bio-diesel to my home made bio-diesel. Just some more options since you live in Houston. Good luck

I have run biodiesel a few times thru my truck, there is a biodiesel station in downtown Houston. I just don't think that I would be interested in home brewing. Plus I don't have a lot of room, My Wife and I live in a town home. So my garage and driveway are very small.

Just not sure that I want to convert my 03 to a WVO conversion?? I just like the option of having a second vehicle. If I get a OBS stroke and convert it to WVO with a big enough tank for the WVO. I have seen some of these trucks go for 2,000 miles with out filling up. THat would ROCK! I drive across Houston often...that is almost 50 miles one way. I might look into a VW jetta diesel....I still have sometime, just wanted to bounce some ideas off of yall.

Thanks

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
CrAacKker said:
I have seen some of these trucks go for 2,000 miles with out filling up. THat would ROCK!

Yup, but these OBS trucks have a 3rd tank, an in bed auxiliary tank usually between 90-100 gallons. That gives them +/- 120 gal of WVO and +/- 20 gal of start up / purge fuel. RickH made his own 100 gal tank ... :hail Transfer Flow is a popular aux tank manufacturer...but pricey.

CrAacKker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hheynow said:
Yup, but these OBS trucks have a 3rd tank, an in bed auxiliary tank usually between 90-100 gallons. That gives them +/- 120 gal of WVO and +/- 20 gal of start up / purge fuel. RickH made his own 100 gal tank ... :hail Transfer Flow is a popular aux tank manufacturer...but pricey.

I am sorry, let me clarify what I meant by that comment. The truck I saw with that range was a 98 Dodge.

I was not aware of 3rd tank. So all OBS F250s & F350s have 3 tanks, was that a special order or thats how they were from the factory?

The OBS sounds great in all, the kits for them are cheaper than the ones for my 03 7.3 stroke. And if what you say is correct I won't have to buy a tank.
A lot of the work is already done with the 3 tanks and switches already in the truck.

•But I will spend 4 to 6 grand to find a decent to clean truck
•The Frybrid kit i want will be $1500 with out installation(i am not the mechanic...so I will have to pay to install)
•Then the cost of maintenance of fixing problems with the truck depending on the hi mileage on it.
•I can spend $3500 on my 03 stroke for a kit plus installation...so probably $4000 to $4500 after all the dust clears.

Just not sure which direction to go?

Thanks for all the comments guys!!:thumbs

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O yes been to the bio station in Houston. I use to drive from Willis to Galveston 5 days aweek. 200 miles round trip. Stopped at that station alot. Well good luck with you decision. Check out races in Houston

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58