WVO or WVO Diesel Blend

shannoncaldwell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is anybody running straight WVO or a WVO/Diesel blend in a 99+ 7.3 PSD?

I'm interested in running a WVO/diesel blend. I don't have any fuel system mods yet and would like to hear about others experiences and mods that they have done to run WVO with a single tank system.

Thanks for any input.

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
Myself, my brother-in-law and a buddy have all run a blend all last summer. I have zero mods to my truck to run it this way. I just heat and filter the oil and pour it in. Smells good, runs quieter and best of all is way cheaper!

shannoncaldwell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ripsaw,

Thanks for the reply.
I'd like to know how you are heating and filtering your WVO, if you have a moment. I'd like to start doing this as well ASAP, but have no desire to trial and error my way through this process. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

dpantazis

Reaction score
polymerization?

shannoncaldwell said:
Is anybody running straight WVO or a WVO/Diesel blend in a 99+ 7.3 PSD?

99+, lots of folks, i am working on crossing over soon.

Blends: wasn't there a thread on the dark side that taked about the polymerization of D2/WVO and how it funged up filters and injectors? it was something like running either one was ok, but mixing the two and pressurizing in the huei injectors caused a chemical reaction that was not good.

edit: i found it and a couple of other threads too-

JOAT- can you comment on this?

http://forums.biodieselnow.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3829

The Drama Stop one

Another One

dennis

Last edited:

Tx_Atty

Master Baiter
Reaction score
I only read the first one and what I took from it was that IF there is a problem it appears to be with bio and not wvo and that it is more of a quality control issue than anything else.

I hope to see more on this because I would love to make a switch but dont yet feel comfortable.

Along this same line, would cotton seed oil work in any blend ratio? I live in an area that grows almost exclusively cotton and there is a vast supply of seed oil. I have not yet priced it but plan to soon. If cheap enough I would like to blend raw cotton oil with #2.

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't heard anything but a rummor, it was unclear if an aquaintance was refering to wvo or bio. but he was told by a large dealership that bio was causing bacteria to grow in tanks and lines, plugging filters and screwing up fuel lines.
I think they must have been talking about wvo. and that had to have sat for a while and not be blended with anything else.

dpantazis

Reaction score
too many opinoins

i read the threads and have since gone to do more 'research'

my conclusion that too many voices spouting mis-info and few if anyone KNOWS what they are talking about.

i wish JOAT would jump in here, he has been at this for a long time, much longer than many of us and seems to have a better handle on this stuff.

dennis

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
:D My ears are ringing. Just got back from Disneyland, 800 miles mostly on heated WVO.

There are tons of polymerization rumors but the only ones I've seen confirmed involved bad Bio in 6.0 injectors. The only real issues with blends usually are from not allowing sufficient settling time so variables that may cause a reaction or sedimentation happen in the fuel tank instead of the barrel. This can lead to pump, filter, or injector problems so settle after mixing, preferable a week or two, and that should pretty much eliminate any risk there.

Fordnut74 ran a blend for nearly 20k in a SuperDuty before switching to heated with no issues. Many others have been as succesful.

Cottonseed Oil: Pretty much any oil will work, as long as the iodine value (IV) is not too high. High IV oils like linseed oil or sardine oil react rapidly to the presence of oxygen and can gum up rings and such pretty quick in DI engines. There was a recent discussion on the subject at Biodiesel Infopop and some info at JTF on IV. May be some specific info on cottonseed oil too, just have to search.

Edit1: looks like cottonsed oil has a fairly low IV, around 50 at one site I found
Edit2: Post at bio infopop, others using cottonseed oil for WVO/SVO

Last edited:

shannoncaldwell

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thank ya'll again for the helpful posts.

Don, would you mind sharing your process for settling/filtering your WVO and also how you are heating your fuel system in your truck?

Thanks,

Ripsaw

Resident Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry it took so long

Here are some pics of part of my setup. It's not quite finished yet to make bio. I have it plumbed to make biodiesel and for just heating and filtering the WVO. A few extra valves and you can make one pump do many things.:sweet The two filters are first a 10 micron waterblock filter then a....shoot, I can't remember what the last one is. Haven't run anything out there since before winter. I know it is equal to or better then the stock fuel filter on the truck. Figured these filters are cheaper than the truck ones.

Things you don't see in the pics: I need to put together a wash tank and get a carboy for the methoxide to get the bio side running. I also have two 250 gal. totes next to the processor. One is for settling WVO and one for finished biodiesel.

Since these pics were taken I have also installed a nice temp gauge in the bottom of the water heater and taken care of the leak I had at the pump inlet which is why the bucket is there. The leak wasn't real bad. Just had a constant drip. They are a PITA to seal up. I built this last year and these pictures were taken pretty much right after that. I plan on finishing the bio side of it when it warms up a little outside.

On Edit: I never had a truck fuel filter plug up while running with this setup. I actually just changed the fuel filter in my truck recently and it was the same one I had run with the blend earlier in the year. May have just had good oil too?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58